Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Need to share iTunes folder...

Hi guys, here's my problem:
I have a mac running 9.2 with ProTools and another one running 10.3.7.
I need to share the itunes folder, but I can't run appleshare on the first mac because ProTools won't work.
So I thought that I could share an external drive with the mp3s via Firewire connecting the 2 computers, but it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Need to share iTunes folder...

do you have an ipod?
try here
not sure if it works with OS9, but might take a look.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Need to share iTunes folder...

Basically, you can add music to iTunes from any disk if you untick the "Copy music files to iTunes folder when adding to library" menu in Preferences/Advanced menu. While not as good as direct sharing it allows you to hear files across a network. If you let the OSX machine be the server and connect to it from the OS9 machine via FTP you should be able to do what you want.

Setting up networks in mixed environments can be a little tricky but you can do a search on the net. In our studio we can connect to OSX from both OS9 and XP w/o any additional software and do so all the time to pass around files...

You might also want to find out more about iTunes own sharing features and whether it supports multiple OSs over local networks. Maybe someone can chime in here...

xoxo pv
Old 01-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Default from iTunes help...

Quote:
If your computer is connected to any other computers over a local network (and in the same subnet), and you are using iTunes 4.5 or later, you can share the music in your library and playlists with up to five of those computers. You choose the items you share in the Sharing pane of iTunes preferences.

You can also set your iTunes preferences to look for shared music. Once you do, any shared music that's available on your network appears in your iTunes Source list.

When you play a shared song, it's streamed over the network to your computer. You can listen to it, but you can't add it to your library or playlists, transfer it to an iPod, or burn it on a CD. You can tell if a song is shared by selecting the song and choosing File > Get Info. If the Kind is "remote" (in the Summary pane), it's a shared file.