Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2021, 11:25 PM

Default Commit and Sidechain Delay Compensation

I know Native does not have automatic sidechain delay compensation, but I wanted to make sure I have my understanding correct when I am using the commit feature.

Lets say I have a guitar track called 'Lead Guitar'; it has several plug-ins on it (compressors, EQs, etc.). This track has a send on it that is sending the audio to a buss called 'Guitar Send'. I then have a Reverb send effect coming into it called 'Reverb Effect'. On the Reverb aux bus, I have some reverb plugin plus a compressor after it. The compressor is sidechained to the Guitar Send signal so that the compressor is activated (and hits the reverb) while the guitar is playing. Overall, this has the effect that the guitar track has a reverb effect, but the effect is more open once the guitar signal stops playing/goes lower in volume.

With Native, I know I would have issues with delay compensation here. Now, if I simply commit the Lead Guitar track and check off the "copy sends" box when doing so, thus creating an audio print of my guitar (with no plugins on the inserts) plus the Guitar Send and Reverb Effect copied over to the printed track, do I solve my delay compensation issue? Because the source of my sidechain (the guitar track) has been committed and no longer has any inserts (but has the two sends) will everything be O.K. in terms of delayed sidechain effects? Or will this still cause me issues on Native?

I just wanted to make sure I had the solution correct. The workarounds I am seeing online seem more complicated, but I was not sure if something like this is all I have to do.

Thank you.

EDIT: I just wanted to add a new scenario as well. Let's say I have a kick drum (on a channel called 'Kick') with no plugins on it, but it has a send sending out its signal on a send buss called 'Kick Send'. Now, let's say I have a synth on it's own channel (called 'Synth Lead') that has many plugins on it. The final insert on this track is a compressor; this compressor is sidechained and triggered by the Kick Send. Now, in this case, because the signal source of the side chain (the kick) has no plugins on it, am I correct in assuming I would experience no delay here? Even though the Synth Lead has many inserts on it (the final one being a compressor being sidechained to Kick Send), will I be O.K. with delay issues due to the Kick being insert free? Or will there still be issues, because the Synth Lead channel has plugins on the insert prior to the sidechained compressor? Thanks again.

Last edited by Glo123; 01-09-2021 at 11:55 PM.