Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2014, 09:19 AM

Default Magma chassis

I use my i7 / HDX / PT11 / Magma T3 for only a part of each day. When I have finished using Pro Tools I would like to be able to easily power down the Magma rather than leave it on for hours not being used.

I have established that you shouldn't plug the thunderbolt cable in to the Mac when it is switched on, but my question is - is it OK to unplug it when I have finished to power down the Magma?

Alternatively if anyone has another idea, I would be grateful.

It probably doesn't matter, but I never like leaving expensive kit on for hours on end when not being used.

Thank you
Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Magma chassis

I would power down your interface then power down the chassis when not in use... as to the thunderbolt cable, I believe there is still power traveling down that cable even when the connected device is powered down... Best practice? disconnect while power to your iMac is off just be sure.... Prob nothing will happen 99 times our of 100 but there is always that one time that can bite you..

Litehousemuzik
Audio Mixing Services
Old 02-16-2014, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Magma chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
I use my i7 / HDX / PT11 / Magma T3 for only a part of each day. When I have finished using Pro Tools I would like to be able to easily power down the Magma rather than leave it on for hours not being used.

I have established that you shouldn't plug the thunderbolt cable in to the Mac when it is switched on, but my question is - is it OK to unplug it when I have finished to power down the Magma?

Alternatively if anyone has another idea, I would be grateful.

It probably doesn't matter, but I never like leaving expensive kit on for hours on end when not being used.

Thank you
Are you saying you would leave your Mac on and switch off the Magma? The answer of whether there would be a problem doing so depends on the chips used for the TB interface. Some chip families don't care if they're feeding into a load that doesn't have power and some do and without knowing the specific chips used in the Mac it's hard to say. It may work for a while and then crap out. Best bet would be to power down the Magma, the Mac, disconnect the TB cable and then restart the Mac.

QAPLA!