How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Default New 11R w/ expansion pack, "Output to Amp" question

I did a whole thread on this new setup on TGP, don't really want to repeat it all here again so I'll try and be as concise as possible. I'm trying to do:

11R patch with FULL RIG, cab sims on, full monty -> MAIN XLR Outs -> recording/nearfield monitors/headphones
--- AT THE SAME TIME ---
the exact same patch, but Output to Amp #2 (using that one because it's on the back) set to Rig output NO CAB, still deciding if RESO does anything useful. I want to run the Output to Amp #2 into a tube amp's FX loop, maybe try a solid state power amp + cab as well.

It seems as of last night, when I am messing with my Output to Amp settings (either #1 or #2) even with nothing plugged in to those outputs it is effecting the tones coming out of the MAIN outs (which in my case is headphone output, recording, nearfield monitors, etc...)
This should not be the case right? No matter what I set the Output to amp setting in 11R it should NOT effect what I am hearing through the MAIN OUTS, right? It should always be cab sims on UNLESS I specifically BYPASS the cab in my patch, right?

I want to see if anyone else is noticing the same thing. My main reason for posting this is that pretty much any patch with any type of gain OR any distortion pedal is currently sounding like a big, fizzy, mess.
Cleans are okay
Old 03-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Avid

Default Re: New 11R w/ expansion pack, "Output to Amp" weirdness

If you are using the setting "Rig Out no Cab", the cab will be off globally, for all presets, for that Output to Amp AND the mains.

Also note that as of Firmware 2.0, Speaker Breakup is still ON even when the cab is bypassed. If things sound to sizzly, turn Speaker Breakup to 0.0 or adjust it to taste.

I hope that helps! This is all very thoroughly explained in some other threads which I don't have time to find right now (trust me, this is an issue we've discussed!)

P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 03-25-2011, 12:57 PM

Hmmm... Speaker breakup is still on even with the cabinets bypassed? That might 'splain some things. Is it every really and truly off when it is set to zero?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post
If you are using the setting "Rig Out no Cab", the cab will be off globally, for all presets, for that Output to Amp AND the mains.

Also note that as of Firmware 2.0, Speaker Breakup is still ON even when the cab is bypassed. If things sound to sizzly, turn Speaker Breakup to 0.0 or adjust it to taste.

I hope that helps! This is all very thoroughly explained in some other threads which I don't have time to find right now (trust me, this is an issue we've discussed!)

Err... so you are saying there is going to be no way for me to send a full Rig signal to FOH AND send an patch signal MINUS cab sims and everything after to power amp / cab at the same time?
Hasn't this then changed since 1.03?
I was told that this WAS possible using the Rig Output, No cab but I knew going in I would lose anything post cab in my patch...
Or, should I be using something completely different on the Output to Amp settings for what I am looking for??? confused.
EDIT: Okay, I think I get it. What I need to use is something OTHER than Rig Output, No Cab if I am going to FOH (or mixer) using the XLR's AND at the same time want to be hooked up to FX return of tube amp.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Avid

Exactly. It's a bit to get used to, having so many options for placement of things...keep us posted on your progress!
AVID
Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasp100 View Post
Err... so you are saying there is going to be no way for me to send a full Rig signal to FOH AND send an patch signal MINUS cab sims and everything after to power amp / cab at the same time?
I may have misunderstood you here. Here's how to set up what I think you're asking for (using Output to Amp 1 in this case):

1. User Options>Outputs to Amp
2. Place Output to Amp 1 in the 'Amp Output' position. Turn on RESO if you like. 'Amp Output' is actually BETWEEN the amp and cab...
3. Connect Output to Amp 1 to your amp.

So now everything up to and including the Amp model is going to your onstage amp, while all of that and the Cab and any post-amp FX are going to FOH. Or you could choose to place the OTA at the 'Amp Input' if you just want some FX before you hit your stage amp.

I should have been more clear, sorry. The only thing you really can't do in Eleven Rack right now is to send the full rig to the house,, while sending the 'No Cab' rig AND POST-FX to your onstage amp.

Hopefully this answers things?
AVID

Last edited by TheChimp; 03-25-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 PM

Are there any plans to implement this in future releases?

Sent from my EVO 4g using Tapatalk...
Zalman 9900 LED
Readeon HD 4650
6 tb storage
WIN 7 x64 Ult
PT9
002 Console, 11R, Profire 2626, Jamlab
MPT2(wtf?)
HP DV7-3188cl
i5
320g 7200rpm hd X2
Siig xpress 1394
6 gig ram
(disabled g105 and acpi
Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Avid

Unfortunately, no, due to DSP limitations.

However, :), allowing the cab to be placed independently from the amp is an option that we're considering and is possible technically. That would allow for additional flexibility in routing options.

If you like this idea, vote for it at protools.ideascale.com (or create it if it's not already there) !!!
AVID

Last edited by Chris Townsend; 03-25-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Closed Thread