Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2023, 10:31 AM

Default Re: is Pro Tools Carbon Compatible with c|24?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What? No, Rosetta has nothing to do with your Intel Mac.

Lets try again. Your C|24 will work on your Intel Mac with current Pro Tools versions. If you upgraded to an Apple Silicon Mac your C|24 would work when running current Pro Tools versions under Rosetta (Rosetta runs the old Intel code on the Apple Silicon macs), the C|24 will not when running Pro Tools Apple Silicon native on an Apple Silicon Mac.

Avid have made it clear the C|24 will not be supported native on Apple silicon, what happens in future Pro Tools releases on Intel is anybody's guess. Hopefully Avid keeps it working, but there us no guarantee. And youmight only have a tear or two of new releases on Intel, who knows.

All this has been explained in recent Pro Tools release notes, many other posts on DUC about the C|24, many in the last few months, googling should have found those and got you answers faster.
Darrel Question:: I have a friend with a C-24 that is thinking about a Carbon
And was asking me if the C-24 can work connected to the #2 Ethernet port on the Carbon ? Or if he would have to get a Hub to come out of his iMac ethernet port ? And I do not know..

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-17-2023, 10:54 AM

Avid's advice has been control surfaces get put on a separate physical Ethernet than the Carbon AVB. I would follow that advice, and add another Ethernet NIC card or Thunderbolt Ethernet dongle or dock.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What? No, Rosetta has nothing to do with your Intel Mac.

Lets try again. Your C|24 will work on your Intel Mac with current Pro Tools versions. If you upgraded to an Apple Silicon Mac your C|24 would work when running current Pro Tools versions under Rosetta (Rosetta runs the old Intel code on the Apple Silicon macs), the C|24 will not when running Pro Tools Apple Silicon native on an Apple Silicon Mac.

Avid have made it clear the C|24 will not be supported native on Apple silicon, what happens in future Pro Tools releases on Intel is anybody's guess. Hopefully Avid keeps it working, but there us no guarantee. And youmight only have a tear or two of new releases on Intel, who knows.

All this has been explained in recent Pro Tools release notes, many other posts on DUC about the C|24, many in the last few months, googling should have found those and got you answers faster.

Thanks so much for clearing this up! I tried to find some information on google about this to no avail.

thanks everyone for the help!
Old 04-17-2023, 11:53 AM

Ugh those typos of mine, I edited my post.

BTW to find stuff on DUC you need to use Google with the site qualifier and use the "" must include for good measure. So search strings like

"C|24" Pro Tools compatibility site: duc.avid.com

Top 5 results all effectively give the answer needed.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:23 AM

If you buy the neyerinck plugin you can upgrade to silicon macs. And use the C24.

https://neyrinck.com
Old 04-18-2023, 04:06 AM

Pardon my ignorance. But when I looked in to the Nyrinck solution years ago, it basically turned a $10k D-Command in to a $500 HUI MIDI controller
Old 04-18-2023, 04:27 AM

OP wanted to use Carbon anyway?

I have been studying The Neyerinck plugin. It is my understanding the C|24 is fully supported. But maybe not.

Maybe a user of the Neyerinck can comment. I hope in the coming months to buy the plug to use with a Focusrite Control24
Old 04-18-2023, 11:42 AM

What is the best way to hookup the C24 to Carbon? It’s been a long time since i connected my C24 the the Digi 003R+. Is the connection similar? Line out:1-8(DB25) to line in of the the C24?
Old 04-18-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkoknight703 View Post
What is the best way to hookup the C24 to Carbon? It’s been a long time since i connected my C24 the the Digi 003R+. Is the connection similar? Line out:1-8(DB25) to line in of the the C24?
If you're planning on using the monitor controller on the C24, then I would suggest not doing that. The monitor controller on the Carbon is far far far superior, sonically, to the C24. The analog monitor section on the C24 is extremely meh. If you really need 5.1 or above, then I would suggest looking at an outboard solution that is more sonically transparent and just using the C24 for its control surface functions.

Just my 2¢
Old 04-19-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Pardon my ignorance. But when I looked in to the Nyrinck solution years ago, it basically turned a $10k D-Command in to a $500 HUI MIDI controller
Well, you can "blame" Avid for that. But hey, D-Commands aren't $10k anymore