Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 05:17 AM

Default I Just Need A Little Help From My Friends.........

Have some questions I'm not sure about. I partitioned my drive with 3 partitions. Drive letters C,D, and E. 1)Win XP Pro Partition (C) 2)Pro Tools 7.0 Partition (D) 3)Appz Partition (E). I wanted to keep these separate for cleaning purposes, defraging, etc.. When I installed PT 7 to partition (D) alot of files still went to patition (C) where XP is located. Such as the folder Digidesign Databases (volume.ddb) and to Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign there is a DAE folder, a couple of Midi folders etc. Why didn't all these go to my (D) partition where I specified? Should PT just go on the same partition with Win XP pro (C)? Does Windows, Norton, or any other program break these files up? Does this really matter that files get separated? It seems like it's not even worth partitioning and keeping it clean if it's going to separate files. Also when I install plugins it does the same thing. Sometimes it doesnt even let me choose where to save it to. It will automatically default save to partition (C) again. I t seems like it takes PT a long time to boot up. Can that be from all the plugins? I'm using Waves Native Power Pack also. My whole idea was to have 3 partitions (Win XP pro, PT 7.0 w/ Digi plugs, audio Appz or plugs that are not Digi. Did any of this make sense? Listed below is my config. Thank You and hopefully this will get the attention it needs.

Digi 002R
Pro Tools LE 7.0
Windows XP Pro (SP2)
DELL Inspiron 9300
Intel Pentium M Processor 760
(2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Memory 1 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
Video Card 256MB NVIDA GeForce (Go 6800)
Maxtor Internal Hard Drive 60GB 7200rpm
Maxtor External Hard Drive 200GB 7200rpm USB 2.0/ Firewire (Audio Only)
Double-layer CD/DVD 8x burner
Old 02-13-2006, 05:44 AM

Default Re: I Just Need A Little Help From My Friends.....

You should always install Pro Tools to the system drive. I know you had good intentions, but it actually causes performance problems for the program to be installed on a separate drive or partition. And in my opinion, it's much cleaner to have one drive for all programs; windows and others.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-13-2006, 06:24 AM

i can't answer all of your questions, but i know that protools should be on your C drive. you can save all of your sessions files and associated session files on another drive but protools needs to be on your C. also your plug-ins will and should be installed on your C drive. if your using protools on your computer it would be best if it were used mainly for protools, and other audio apps. if this is the case there is no need to partition. keep it simple.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:46 AM

I guess those files will be installed to the partition you booted from. Not sure this has to be C, but seems like installing it there is safer.
If you want to put PT on a seperate Partition, I'd make a multi-boot setup, with WinXP installed on every partition.
My own setup is this:
C: PT & other audio
D: Internet, Gfx, Office
E: spare partition, eg. for testing a new PT install while keeping the old.