Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Recording a E-Drumkit (Midi) HELP

Hey Guys,

i have to "record" a Midi Drum Kit next week.
I have Mpowered 7.1 a Firewire 1814 an a Midisport UNO.
As as Drumsampler i plan to use RM IV or Battery.

Now my question:

I'm a Midi Newbie and i need a little help setting it up.
The Drummer uses two Midi modules.
How do i have to Set this up? What about the Midi routing?
How do i get it working???

Is the following way the right way?

Midi out (Drummodule1) to Midi IN (FW1814)
Midi out (Drummodule2) to Midi IN (Midisport UNO)
Create an AUX-Track (RMIV) Create a Midi-Track

What comes next?

Thanks in advance....
Old 06-30-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Recording a E-Drumkit (Midi) HELP

1. The pads/triggers are connected to 2 different modules or is a trigger module feeding another tone module?

You want to capture performance as early as possible. If all his pads/triggers go to a common module you want to record the out of that module. If he has some pads/triggers going to one and some to another than the setup you mention should be fine.

2. You might want to record the audio outs as well just in case. You never know if you might prefer the sound from his modules better or you may wish to mix it with you drum sounds.

3. you don't need to worry about which drum sampler you use while recording. You can use whatever you want in post. If you want to monitor it through your drum sampler I think you can just set the output of both midi tracks to the drum sampler. You may need to create 2 aux tracks each with the drum sampler of your choice

4. You need to hold the shift key to record enable more than one MIDI track.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:30 PM

Thank you for the fast reply!!!

The Pads go to two different modules. He has 18 Pads. My Sampler Instrument has 18 "Pads" too!
Do i really have to use 2 Aux/Midi Tracks? Can't i just route the first 10 Pads of his kit to the first 10 "Pads" of my Sampler and the rest to the other 8 Pads of my Sampler?

He only has Stereo Outs on his Modules so i don't think i might need to record the audio too.

Do i have to worry about the "Midi-Studio-Menu" in pro tools? Or can i just leave it as it is?

Do i have to worry about latency?
I have recorded guide tracks (1 mono audio) for him to play along...

Thank you!
Old 06-30-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the fast reply!!!

The Pads go to two different modules. He has 18 Pads. My Sampler Instrument has 18 "Pads" too!
Do i really have to use 2 Aux/Midi Tracks? Can't i just route the first 10 Pads of his kit to the first 10 "Pads" of my Sampler and the rest to the other 8 Pads of my Sampler?
You might have trouble sending 2 midi tracks to the same instrument. If all 18 pads are assigned to different notes you should be OK but if you do have trouble you can merge the tracks into one. Can you assign which notes trigger which "Pad" in your Sampler Instrument?

Quote:
He only has Stereo Outs on his Modules so i don't think i might need to record the audio too.
Still not a bad idea if you can. You could even record samples of each drum from his modules and use them in your sampler.

Quote:
Do i have to worry about the "Midi-Studio-Menu" in pro tools? Or can i just leave it as it is?
The studio setup shouldn't affect anything. MIDI data is the same whether Protools know the name of your instrument or not. I would set the input filter to record all unless you have a reason you know you shouldn’t. Also make sure both input ports are selected as input devices

Under the options menu make sure MIDI through is on. I leave it on all the time and forget that not everybody does.

Quote:
Do i have to worry about latency?
I have recorded guide tracks (1 mono audio) for him to play along...
There probably will be some. He should listen to his own modules with the prerecorded tracks. If you have delay problems with the midi tracks you can adjust it later with realtime delay/advance or slide the notes forward and back.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:47 PM

Thank you so much Mozepy!!!

Now I think i will get it working!

1) Yes i can assign which notes trigger which "Pad" in my Sampler ? Do you still think i should go the 2 Aux / 2 Midi Track way (you know what? i'll try what works best for me...)

2) The modules on their own sound like sh*t but i will record them anyway (and if it's only to add another "color" afterwards in the mix...

3) the "Midi Through thing": i neither have a Midi Through Port on my FW1814 or the Midisport UNO.
But i guess it should work anyway? It's just an internal (in PT) setting i have to make. right?

Again, thanks for your replies!

I'll keep you postet.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:37 PM

Actually you may not want it checked depending how plan to monitor the recording.

MIDI Thru in Protools sends the selected MIDI inputs to the selected MIDI outputs. With it checked you will be able to hear the software sampler while you are recording. If you get noticble latency this may be distracting to drummer. (Lowering your buffer size may help with latency)

If you have noticable latency you want your drummer to hear his modules. In which case you would want the thru off, unless you set up a separate mix so you can hear the software synth, but that would require an outboard mixer.