Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Metric halo Channel Strip TDM

I finally got a response after a second email from someone called Jason at MHL. Quite helpful, but I have seemingly resolved the problem I had by removing all firewire drives from my system. A bit invconvenient, but I can live with it.

He said they are working on the other issues with the plugin for a new release. He did not say whether that will include accel support though. If I upgrade to a new pcie system it would mean I could not use channelstrip again for now as the core card is accel as well.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:15 AM

Oh give me a break. What am I supposed to do buy a bunch of interfaces so I can route a bunch of tracks out and then into my computer so I can use a separate piece of software for onscreen monitors! I've written off MH to an expensive detour. I don't have time to deal with knunky workarounds because a company doesn't want to support it's customers. I bought the EA meters for about 1/2 the price of the upgrade would have been for Foo. Not quite as flexible but they actually work and are supported. If I wanted external meters I would get hardware meters, come to think of it I could have for the price of Foo. Live and learn.

Quote:

You don’t need to dedicate a machine to use Foo with PT—if you have a G5, that is. Route a pair of channels from a Digi interface to the very Mac running ProTools, optically. It works like a charm and I use it everyday.

IHTH.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Oh give me a break. What am I supposed to do buy a bunch of interfaces so I can route a bunch of tracks out and then into my computer so I can use a separate piece of software for onscreen monitors!
What’s wrong with using your current interface? Option-select any output pair to your optical out. If you do this with your master out (the one feeding the monitors), soloing a track will allow you to view it by itself (as if Foo were a plug-in inserted on that channel). Seems reasonably flexible to me and far from being the “knunky workaround” you paint it to be.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 08-28-2006, 11:17 PM

Well if I were looking at a stereo meter that could work, sort of. If you think that routing audio out of PT and back in, to I assume a second interface, doesn't seem klunky to you I have nothing to say go for it. I paid for a plug in so I could put up multiple meters on multiple tracks. They have dumped that product. I wouldn't have bought it in the first place as a stand-alone app. I would have instead got a nice set of surround meters. If MH want's to refund my money I will sing there praises as a great stand alone meter app. But I won't buy that a stand alone app that doesn't do what I paid for is an acceptable "upgrade".

ANd it is not "flexible" at all. Go get Inspector (free) and you have some flexibility, or buy the XL version and you have almost all of what Foo used to be at 1/5th the price.

You either work for them or are the biggest apologist I have come across in recent years. Let me "upgrade you BMW to a Ugo for you so you can explain what a good deal it is and how "flexible".

Quote:
Quote:
Oh give me a break. What am I supposed to do buy a bunch of interfaces so I can route a bunch of tracks out and then into my computer so I can use a separate piece of software for onscreen monitors!
What’s wrong with using your current interface? Option-select any output pair to your optical out. If you do this with your master out (the one feeding the monitors), soloing a track will allow you to view it by itself (as if Foo were a plug-in inserted on that channel). Seems reasonably flexible to me and far from being the “knunky workaround” you paint it to be.

IHTH.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 AM

I can tell you’re angry, babycakes, and I don’t have a problem with that. (Plenty of things out there make me angry as well.) Having said that…

1) You could choose to voice your anger with the source of it (and ask for that refund, while you’re at it), instead of directing it at those who try to show you workable solutions to an existing problem. But that’s just me.

2) I do not work for Metric Halo. I just happen to own and love SpectraFoo.

3) Yes, the lack of an OSX-compatible plug-in version of Foo was frustrating. Until G5s came out, that is.

4) You are mistaken in assuming about the need to return a signal to a second interface. The connection I described is to connect an optical cable from a 192 to the digital Input on the G5. Done. (No need to assume — reading what I actually write will do fine and, perhaps, save us all some time.)

5) I’ve owned Inspector XL since its release, thank you very much. Not bad (especially when considering how much it (used to) cost. Nevertheless, there’s no comparing Inspector to Foo — the latter is simply in a league of its own. I suspect that if you were to take the time to try what I described, you might come around.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 08-29-2006, 04:42 AM

Metric Halo are still trying to help solve my problem. They have now sent me another build of the plugin to try and solve the instability at 44.1 on my mix system. I will try it at the end of my current album project. It would still be easier to try with iLok.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 AM

"]I can tell you’re angry, babycakes, and I don’t have a problem with that. (Plenty of things out there make me angry as well.) Having said that… "

Well yes I am mad, but not at you qutypie. I am frustrated with you for implying that MH has met there obligation to there users with (what I consider) a klunky workaround. I don't have a G5 (MDD DP G4) so I would have to either buy a new computer or an interface card to make your "solution" work. And I'm not going to buy a computer so I can run a workaround for a plugin. And it doesn't do what I need it to do. I need to meter multiple tracks not my stereo buss.

"1) You could choose to voice your anger with the source of it (and ask for that refund, while you’re at it), instead of directing it at those who try to show you workable solutions to an existing problem. But that’s just me. "

No it's me also. I have talked to MH on many occasions. The first few years it was "we are working on it (OSX support for their plugins) and it should be out any time now. Then it changed to FOO is out for OSX. When I pointed out that it still wasn't a plugin, they told me I could run it on a second machine! Now the story is "it's out on X" story over. They feel they have met their obligation for support.

"2) I do not work for Metric Halo. I just happen to own and love SpectraFoo. "

I also own Foo and used to love it.

"3) Yes, the lack of an OSX-compatible plug-in version of Foo was frustrating. Until G5s came out, that is. "

It's still frustrating. Even if I own a G5 I would not use your "workaround" it's too wanky for me and still doesn't do what I bought it for.

"4) You are mistaken in assuming about the need to return a signal to a second interface. The connection I described is to connect an optical cable from a 192 to the digital Input on the G5. Done. (No need to assume — reading what I actually write will do fine and, perhaps, save us all some time.) "

Not for me it wont.

5) I’ve owned Inspector XL since its release, thank you very much. Not bad (especially when considering how much it (used to) cost. Nevertheless, there’s no comparing Inspector to Foo — the latter is simply in a league of its own. I suspect that if you were to take the time to try what I described, you might come around.

I agree that Foo is better and complete. I never said otherwise but it isn't a plugin any more so it is in a different class. The class of stand alone apps with little support. When the OS moves to 10.5 or whatever it takes to break Foo and you have to wait two years for MH to get around to fixing it, you might come around.

Sorry if I sounded like I was making a personal attack against you, didn't mean to. My problem is with MH not you. If your solution works for you, go for it. If it worked for me I might be frustrated but accepting. It doesn't so I'm just frustrated and mad.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:02 PM

I just have to chime in. Several years back I pre-ordered a Mobile I-O+DSP. This was about a month before one of the alleged release dates. (I think it was March.) I sent them some money on this pre order. So, la de da time goes by, MH user conf boils over, emails are passed around. The next January I'm still trading emails with Dan (Who is Great), but now they have shipped the Mobile I/O with no Drivers! I said, keep it, and just send me my money back. He does that, and gives me CS, and SpectraPhoo. I start using them on my Mix system, and then paid for the upgrade to HD. (They are incredibly good apps.) A month or 2 Later I decide to move to OSX. (I think this was March, a year after this all started. NO OSX version. I didn't want to wait for MH ( I made that mistake earlier!) Over a Year after that CS for OSX is released. Another paid update. Whatever, I only got a month or 2 of use on the HD rig from the last update, and I don't want to have to wait for MH development on the next one. I am so glad I ditched that plug long ago. Great Company, Great People. Slooooooooooooooow as tectonic movement on the development side. On the plus, there's no WUP. It's great if you don't mind freezing your system for a year or two.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:52 AM

I just got channelstrip working reliably over the last day or two. Jason sent me the v2.0 which was the previous release. Obviously the 2.1 release does not work so well on mix systems.