Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2021, 04:22 AM

Default Re: MIDI in 2021 and BEYOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
How long has MIDI 2.0 been talked about? Wasn't it supposed to happen a decade ago?

The full spec was agreed upon in January last year.

Now we play the waiting game. As Janne pointed out, going by Digidesign/AVID’s past progress with regards to MIDI implementation… it will probably be a loooong wait.

Nothing has really changed MIDI wise since v8. Prior to that, it was rudimentary at best. I used to sequence in Cubase, export a MIDI file and import it into PT to lay down the audio. When v8 came about, I finally felt it had enough features to allow me to create.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still lacking a lot of the nifty creative stuff like MIDI plugins etc. but, bugs aside, it’s more than capable to compose with. Well, for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
I NEED that yesterday. Very clever!
PM me... if you want I can send you the shortcuts

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 09-05-2021, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
The full spec was agreed upon in January last year.

Now we play the waiting game. As Janne pointed out, going by Digidesign/AVID’s past progress with regards to MIDI implementation… it will probably be a loooong wait.

Nothing has really changed MIDI wise since v8. Prior to that, it was rudimentary at best. I used to sequence in Cubase, export a MIDI file and import it into PT to lay down the audio. When v8 came about, I finally felt it had enough features to allow me to create.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still lacking a lot of the nifty creative stuff like MIDI plugins etc. but, bugs aside, it’s more than capable to compose with. Well, for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I was getting at MIDI 2.0 has been talked about for a long time; that the full specs only came out last year is but part of the problem. And like you for the work I do PT's MIDI implementation works just fine.

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
What I was getting at MIDI 2.0 has been talked about for a long time; that the full specs only came out last year is but part of the problem. And like you for the work I do PT's MIDI implementation works just fine.
I am the same but I can only assume it depends on how much and what type of midi work flow someone does .
For me midi is simply a means to supplement my main featured work which acoustic audio. Mostly recording acoustic and or electric guitar, and vocals ,,, then sometimes recording midi drums, or strings, or piano, etc etc to fill out the acoustic audio ..

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-05-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I am the same but I can only assume it depends on how much and what type of midi work flow someone does .
For me midi is simply a means to supplement my main featured work which acoustic audio. Mostly recording acoustic and or electric guitar, and vocals ,,, then sometimes recording midi drums, or strings, or piano, etc etc to fill out the acoustic audio ..
I don't compose in MIDI but play stuff in and I record the MIDI so I can change the sounds later but not the notes (save for the odd clam ). So I don't need fancy MIDI plugins like arps/sequencers. I play everything in manually.

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

Hope that helps. As I originally said, it is doable, but it's by no means as fluid as using a Eucon enabled controller.

Very useful! Thank you for the info. And yes I agree. It would be great for PT to implement MIDI control on audio track plugins like you can in Studio One for example! Should also be possible to save custom maps.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I don't compose in MIDI but play stuff in and I record the MIDI so I can change the sounds later but not the notes (save for the odd clam ). So I don't need fancy MIDI plugins like arps/sequencers. I play everything in manually.
Yep basically me too (just not very well ) I use an Akai MPK 49 midi keyboard . I Really like the UVI Falcon that came with PT couple of versions ago
But I have occasionally used Boom and Reason's step sequencer and I do use soma AIR additional's like Hybrid and Vacuum Pro

Here is something I did playing around using only the bundled PT VI's including the First Instruments bundle . It's a bit Avant Garde-ish compared to what I usually do (or maybe just weird ) coincidentally named No Regrets

https://soundcloud.com/kevwind/noregrets

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-05-2021, 12:04 PM

This is interesting - I wanted to make my reply from quoting your post and I got the 'access denied' error. So here goes:

Very interesting. Not something I would do but it's well put together.
There was a tune that came on after that that was a mellow tune with vocal - is that also one of yours or a happy accident?

Part of what accounts for my musical capabilities is the accordion was my first instrument at age 8 in 1960 then I picked up piano & organ a couple of years later. Even at my age I still can tickle the keys pretty darned well if I can toot my own trumpet

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
This is interesting - I wanted to make my reply from quoting your post and I got the 'access denied' error. So here goes:

Very interesting. Not something I would do but it's well put together.
There was a tune that came on after that that was a mellow tune with vocal - is that also one of yours or a happy accident?

Part of what accounts for my musical capabilities is the accordion was my first instrument at age 8 in 1960 then I picked up piano & organ a couple of years later. Even at my age I still can tickle the keys pretty darned well if I can toot my own trumpet
Accordion can be so cool and 8 is pretty young good for you.
At about 8 or so I tried the french horn at grade school . Dam thing was almost as big as I was... I faked my through the first year but never could get reading music,,, by the second year it was obvious I was faking it and I guit ...
Took up the acoustic guitar at 14 and was off to the races

That other song is probably my cover of Donovans " Try and Catch the Wind "
And much more typical of my midi usage with it supporting the acoustic audio. It has I think the UVI Falcon VI and one of the orchestra strings sounds

https://soundcloud.com/kevwind/catch-the-wind-cover

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-05-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Accordion can be so cool and 8 is pretty young good for you.
At about 8 or so I tried the french horn at grade school . Dam thing was almost as big as I was... I faked my through the first year but never could get reading music,,, by the second year it was obvious I was faking it and I guit ...
Took up the acoustic guitar at 14 and was off to the races

That other song is probably my cover of Donovans " Try and Catch the Wind "
And much more typical of my midi usage with it supporting the acoustic audio. It has I think the UVI Falcon VI and one of the orchestra strings sounds

https://soundcloud.com/kevwind/catch-the-wind-cover
That is a pretty tune - you sound a lot like Bob Dylan on that one.

As to the instrument being almost as big as you have you caught Rob Paravonian's Pachelbel rant on You Tube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkV...eature=related

QAPLA!