Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Let's hear your latest stuff....right here

"You might want to play with the pans to give them more space.
Particularly, when there's a lead part and some chordwork going on at the same time, sounds like they're both panned center. I would push them away from each other so the solo can breath better."

Actually, the rhy. gtrs are as follows:
2 hard left/right- slightly dirty
2 about 30% l/r- dist.

Lead gtr is doubled, 1 at 10% R, the other Center with slight slapback delay, lower in the mix.

I'm going to work on it some more to get the spacial imaging better (crosses fingers).

Thanks!

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 View Post
"You might want to play with the pans to give them more space.
Particularly, when there's a lead part and some chordwork going on at the same time, sounds like they're both panned center. I would push them away from each other so the solo can breath better."

Actually, the rhy. gtrs are as follows:
2 hard left/right- slightly dirty
2 about 30% l/r- dist.

Lead gtr is doubled, 1 at 10% R, the other Center with slight slapback delay, lower in the mix.

I'm going to work on it some more to get the spacial imaging better (crosses fingers).

Thanks!
NP.
Another thing you can try if the rhythm guitars are double tracked is flip the phase on one. This sometimes opens up space as well.

This is typically done when you record in stereo, like an acoustic guitar.
However, I've found it can sometimes have a 'space opening' effect on double tracked guitars as well.

Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=851389
Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 AM

Wink Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Shorty,
That was cool.

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks again. I'm going to try some of your techniques later tonight when I get home. This board always has the best advice. Very, very helpful.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 12-17-2008, 08:18 AM

Wango, I tried out your techniques last night...all I can say is WOW. Thanks for the advice. Everyone on this board is so helpful. I haven't posted the new version of the song, yet, but it sounds killer. I also re-mixed the drums a bit more, and upped the room mix. They sound like a Monster! haha.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 View Post
Wango, I tried out your techniques last night...all I can say is WOW. Thanks for the advice. Everyone on this board is so helpful. I haven't posted the new version of the song, yet, but it sounds killer. I also re-mixed the drums a bit more, and upped the room mix. They sound like a Monster! haha.
Awesome! Glad to hear it and glad I could help.

A couple other things I thought you might look at are for for reverb, since
reverb can easily make a mix mushy;

1) Make sure you have a predelay on the reverb. This can clear the mix up a lot too. Every song is different of course, but without a predelay, the mix often gets congested. 50 ms is a good place to start. What I do is max the predelay, so I hear an echo effect. Then I halve it, again and again until I get it somewhere between noticing the predelay and not. That usually ends up around 50 ms

2) Pan the reverb a little differently than the main track. The way I do this is to set up two sends from a track, one dry and one with reverb. If, for example I have a guitar panned 50% left, I can pan the reverb separately to say 70%. This also can open up space in a mix and make it wider.
What this does is put the main track, where you have all the bite, in a different spot than the reverb, which can take away from the bite.

No one thing will do it all, but all of these little things can add up to opening up a lot of space in the mix.

Hope they help!

- Wango

Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=851389
Old 12-20-2008, 05:55 AM

This was recorded on Dec. 7th. There was a Sunday service right before and it went 1/2 hour over, so I had about 40 minutes to set everything up.

Audio
http://www.ezeprod.com/audio/SSC/16_Gloria_I.mp3

Video
http://www.ezeprod.com/ezeprod_video_gloria.html

Happy Holidays !
Gene
Old 12-20-2008, 11:03 AM

Hello...
I am new to the forum,, i been recording myself using protools for a couple years now,, almost got the protools sign tattood on me, haha but nah,,, here is my website for all to view,,,
all my music is written recorded and engineered by myself,,,
appreciate the feedbak...
Headless shogun

www.myspace.com/headlessicabod
Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 AM

Wango, again, thank you for all of your advice. I recorded vocals for the song this weekend and I have to say, wow. I also eq'd the guitars a bit (and cut at 250) and it really made the vocals stand out. I bussed reverb on the vocal tracks and harmonies in stereo and boy, did it really create a sense of "space." I'll post it tonight so you can hear how I took your advice. Thanks again!

Old 12-23-2008, 05:13 PM

Can somebosy gimme sum tips on how to make raw vocals sound nice an crisp an strong???