Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 AM

Default Q about connecting ISA One to Mbox 3 Pro

I got it working like this:
Mic in on Isa One --> balanced from inser send on Isa --> Insert 1 on Mbox Pro
Without doing anything else i just record arm a mono track and im able to record with all the gain handling just on the Isa One.

I would however like to use the 4 channels with preamp on the Mbox and the get a 5:th channel with the Isa one (its the analog one without the Spdif)

Is this possibel? Thansk for any input and help

P
Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Q about connecting ISA One to Mbox 3 Pro

Well, first, you want to use the ISA correctly.

You don't go out of the ISA send to the Mbox Pro insert. You go from the ISA MAIN OUT, and to to the LINE INPUT on the back of the Mbox Pro (any channel of 1 thru 4). You may need to set the switch on the MBox for Line in, and set the +4, +10 switch to +4.

This should give you better quality signal and routing, but it's still gonna use up one of your preamp channels.

There may be a way to use the ISA with an adapter into the unbalanced rca or mini jack, but I'm not sure if sound quality would be compromised.

Your best and cheapest option would be to buy the ISA digital card (and the special adapter that lets you hook it up to the spdif) and go into the spidf in on the Mbox Pro.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 PM

Thanks alot. Gonna try your suggestion.
Am i bypassing the Mbox preamp if i go
trough the Line in?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 AM

Yes, but you are still using up that channel, making it so you can't use the mbox built in preamp on that channel. That's why I suggested the digital option, so that you could have 5 preamps going at once, since that sounded like what you were wanting to do.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:40 AM

Yes I got that im using one one of the preamp channels. Just wanted to make shure I didnt pass another preamp when going trough Line in. The price for the digital card is alsmost as much as i got the Isa One for second hand. I just had at thought that it would be nice with a extra mic when tracking drums. Think ill stay with 4 mics on drums, since Im pretty happy with my results so far. Gonna use the Isa one for vocals and so on. Thansk for making it all clear to me

P