Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2014, 09:03 PM

Default Re: PTLE 8.0.5 Win7 optimization/cpu issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I believe mixing and matching (in this case) is fine... AMD graphics cards are not supported, though.
Not supported, but lots of successful users out there

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 PM

ok... rats!!!
After doing almost all recommended optimization tips, I tested out my pro tools and only had 3 plug-ins going and got nuked again with error code -9128

screenshot of error code.. no joy.
What could possibly be doing this?
Attached Images
File Type: gif cpu.gif (8.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halipino View Post
ok... rats!!!
After doing almost all recommended optimization tips, I tested out my pro tools and only had 3 plug-ins going and got nuked again with error code -9128

screenshot of error code.. no joy.
What could possibly be doing this?

Hi ...you could find this app handy !

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Install it and check youre system if something is causing spikes or conflict...

As you can see in my sig. I dont have an expensive PC build and runs like a ferrari ...no joke ..
recently i bought a UAD satellite 2 and the manual recomend a buffer size of 512 minimun..the thing is that i never raise my buffer from 128 before and after the UAD..my system is solid rock i must say ...

Tought Avid give some advices every system is a different world and you should start working by yourself troubleshooting and testing to achive what is best in your experience..

Sometime ago i was having a little preformance issue with PT andctually with the DPC checker i noticed that i was having a peak and it was my Nvidia video card.. i discovered that in my system the VC runs better with the Nvidia services runing altought is recomended to disable services that arent part of protools and rus automatically..
They "can" cause conflicts with PT..

NOT a solution but it can help you A LOT !!

Godd luck !

Last edited by jeam25; 05-26-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:06 PM

an important observation about DPC Latency Checker is that it measures latency in μs, not ms. So if you have under about 300 μs (0.3 milliseconds), then that is considered an acceptable latency.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
an important observation about DPC Latency Checker is that it measures latency in μs, not ms. So if you have under about 300 μs (0.3 milliseconds), then that is considered an acceptable latency.
Thats correct ..!!
Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 AM

Thanks, so i tested out the latency checker, it says "This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio and/or video data without drop-outs."

But I have noticed the absolute maximum up around 1245 and around 3000 at one point, no red spikes that i have noticed at all, always in the green. screenshot included fwiw. :)
Attached Images
File Type: gif dpc.gif (16.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-28-2014, 04:06 PM

Get that secondary hard drive yet? You can "optimize" all you want to, but I suspect it isn't going to work AT ALL until you take care of this. Avid says:
IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic, so please do not use them with Pro Tools. If you're recording or playing back from a USB drive and are getting errors in Pro Tools, please switch to using a compatible external firewire drive or internal SATA/ATA/IDE drive and disconnect the USB drive.

Pro Tools supports recording and playback to a secondary drive that meets the following requirements:
  • 7200 rpm or faster
  • 9ms seek time or faster
Firewire drives must have the Oxford 911 (FW400 port), Oxford 912 (FW400 & FW800 ports) or Oxford 924 (FW800 ports) Bridge chip.

Please note that as of PT10, USB drives are recommended over Firewire, also note that if you ARE using firewire, you need the Oxford chipset on the fw controller (like the majority of SIIG cards have.)