Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2016, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Trim DSP plugin uses CPU power when inserted before a Native plugin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Because audio needs to go from native to DSP (trim) and back to native (plugin processing) and back to DSP (mixing) and then back to native (for recording).
I'm certainly aware of that in theory. When in mixing mode, learned a long time ago to place all the native plugins first in the chain before DSP versions. Just stating that for recording purposes, having a few tracks with DSP first never presented a challenge. Maybe I'm just fortunate.....
Old 03-30-2016, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Trim DSP plugin uses CPU power when inserted before a Native plugin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Actually it is not PT HD which forces this workaround, but DSP processing. Doesn't happen on HD software using full native processing, for example HDN systems; can track through plugins, no problem.

It is designed to do so, it has always been like that. Only after you are in the DSP-land, you get processing. And back in the day going TDM/RTAS/TDM was even worse as it consumed double voices which I think this current workaround doesn't do any longer.
Ah yes, PT HDN. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't opt for an HD Native system myself. Considering how few DSP plugins are available, I have to use Native processing most of the time anyways. The only time I really use the DSP chips is for this cumbersome workaround. I still don't see why PT couldn't perform this task in the background for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmprod View Post
Not sure why you'd be getting a CPU hit when placing a DSP before native while recording. I do that frequently & haven't noticed a challenge. Another possible workaround is to set up an aux track that feeds into the audio track. You can set the audio input on the aux channel & use native plugins while recording on the audio track. The possible drawback is that you're permanently recording whatever effect the plugin is set to. But if you're confident about the desired effect, then one less thing to be concerned about at mix time.....
I never noticed the CPU hit until I finally reached the CPU ceiling and disabled dozens of DSP Trim plugins at once. It's Autotune, so it has to be on the track live and I'd prefer not to print it because sometimes I do change it after the take.