Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2015, 05:20 PM

Default Re: MIDI Keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Wow I didn't know they made midi for iPhones!!!!

You want cheap? Go to a pawn shop, anything with a usb connection should work fine

I got my axiom pro 49 off craigslist - like new for $150

I got the Akai 25 for $30 at another

Pull up Sweetwater if you want to see what is out there...most midi keyboards are class compliment so there is not really anything to worry about as far as compatibility
Yeah, it's crazy what you can do w/ phones now days.. I'm definitely going the used route. My two main concerns are how many keys is enough and if I want/need weighted keys. I have absolutely zero experience with MIDI and/or Keyboards. My best bet is probably going to a local music store and trying out what they got in stock. Atleast that way I'll know what what features I can/can't live without.

Oh yeah, how far have virtual instruments come with sounding out guitar chords (esp. power chords)? I'll probably still use this keyboard for drums once I get my left hand back.. The newer virtual instruments have, for the most part, made my V-Drums obsolete (esp when it comes to realistic rolls). Given I have one of the cheaper rubber pad kits (maybe the mesh pads solved the problem of unrealistic, choppy rolls).

Thanks for the help,
-Adam
Old 03-20-2015, 05:44 PM

Mesh pads still are awesome, I have Alesis Mylar and dream of mesh with a TD30 kit!!!

I really like the AAS guitar VI that I have....but I hardly use it. I'm sure native instruments has one that's really solid also,

You basically need to decide if you want a 25 key or a 49 key.

I found 49 key to be perfect for my limited piano/keyboard playing skills

However I use the 25key in front of my qwerty keyboard and it's really nice and adequate for most stuff, bass lines (while arranging) and synth leads, horn part ectera
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Mesh pads still are awesome, I have Alesis Mylar and dream of mesh with a TD30 kit!!!

I really like the AAS guitar VI that I have....but I hardly use it. I'm sure native instruments has one that's really solid also,

You basically need to decide if you want a 25 key or a 49 key.

I found 49 key to be perfect for my limited piano/keyboard playing skills

However I use the 25key in front of my qwerty keyboard and it's really nice and adequate for most stuff, bass lines (while arranging) and synth leads, horn part ectera
I have an early Roland w/ the TD6. It sounds great, but you need the mesh pads for realistic sounding rolls. I'm gonna sell it once I get this keyboard. I have an acoustic set, so once I'm able to use a keyboard and the VI's for drums, the Roland will be phased outta my repertoire. I needa find out the bluebook value; it's an 8 piece rubber kit.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:48 PM

Hey Adam... I would highly recommend getting more than a 25 note controller.
I bought a 25 note because I don't really do that much keyboard work, but now I regret it and I'm looking for a 49 or bigger. 2 octaves is just not enough, for almost any musical part, unless everything you write happens to be in C Major.
Just my two cents...
Have fun!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:02 PM

What's the deal with USB Hubs? Will I need to buy one of these or can I just plug the keyboard into my laptop's USB port? I've been reading alot of posts written by PT 11 users that have big trouble w/ MIDI Keyboards. The M-Audio Oxygen 25 is pretty much the only model I consistently read good things about. I'm still completely in the dark on how many keys I want/need.