Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2023, 05:59 AM

Default Re: New studio set up

More memory generally speaking future-proof better.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomix View Post
What is most important?

16 vers 32 GB ram

512 GB SSD vers 1 TB SSD

I am looking for a secondhand MacPro and some offer mac`s with 32 ram / 512 and some 16 ram / 1TB.

What is "most" important of Ram or SSD for running PT projects.
Ok I realize English may be a second language for you BUT

You keep posting somewhat conflicting posts and randomly including new elements of your situation

in the first post you had already ordered an M1 Mackbook Pro (did you cancel that order ? ) Because you then started talking about looking at an Intel Mackbook but have since rejected that option
And now you are looking at Mac Pro (which is a desk top and used is likely back to Intel based ) which will definitely work I use an intel chip based iMac but as mentioned at some un determined point in the future PT may no longer support which does not mean not usable,,, but likely means no further Avid PT or Apple OS updates

Also you have made only vague references to the current gear you have mics and pre amp s etc

I suggest you slow down and start over consider (as someone suggested) how many simultaneous mic/ line inputs you want to be able to record and how many outboard mic pre's you wish to able to have connected at any one time...
And perhaps a brief of mention of how and what you record

For example :: I record mostly guitar (acoustic and electric ) and vocals
I also sometimes record Virtual Instruments to accompany the guitars and vocals . I can do vocal overdubs but also like to have the option to record guitar in stereo (two mics) and vocal simultaneously so I need a minimum of 3 mic inputs which means basically at least a 4 mic pre interface

Which exactly how and what you record will determine how many mic/ line inputs an interface will need

And to that end make a detailed list of any current recording gear you have that you think you would like to include in your system because so far there is only an undetermined vague number of mic pres' ???

Also you mentioned an Edirol keyboard board which has only an old standard USB A output to go into the computer --so with most of the later Mac laptops you won't have a USB A port so you will have to have either an an adaptor or cable ( USB female to TB or USB C male ) or a hub with USB -A port and USB C or TB out
And You mention also and external display which will (depending on exactly what brand and model Display your are actually talking about ) will use one TB/USB -C out from computer

In other words if you want valid targeted suggestions to your specific situation
You should consider giving much more detailed and organized information

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-04-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
which has only an old standard USB A output to go into the computer
This can be fixed with a new cable. You only need to order USB-B to USB-C cable and it fits to a lmodern laptop.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
This can be fixed with a new cable. You only need to order USB-B to USB-C cable and it fits to a lmodern laptop.
Interesting I did not realize there was a USB-B to USB-C cable but regardless, I was simply attempting to inform the OP that the supplied Edirol USB-B to USB -A cable would not work sans adaptor, or as you note new cable .

The bigger issue is of course is that he wants to connect 3 peripherals with only 2 USB- C ports on the 13 " M1 Macbook so will likely have to have a hub to have all three connected at the same time

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-05-2023, 06:59 AM

Yes there are. Two meter cable works well but longer ones may give dropouts.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
The bigger issue is of course is that he wants to connect 3 peripherals with only 2 USB- C ports
How to fit a square peg to a round hole? With a hub.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
How to fit a square peg to a round hole? With a hub.
Yep Just push harder

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-06-2023, 04:35 AM

Thanks again for all comments.

This thread has been a learning process for me, and because of this I have changed some options on the way. Sorry if confusing.

And yes, I have slowed down, thinking one more time before buying.

I mean laptop MacBook pro M1 ( not desktop Mac ). I have not bought one yet but still looking, and a bit unclear which specs I shoud go for.

I record mostly guitar (acoustic and electric ) and vocals
I also sometimes record Virtual Instruments to accompany the guitars and vocals.

I record either through mics or DI into preamps.
Sometimes I use an amp, mics in front. Or line out signal from amp.

I am more songwriter / song producer / musician. Roots, rock, pop type of music.

I do not record drumkits etc. When needed I can have this done other place.

I need 2 inputs for sure, but 4 inputs would be ideal. (learning process / future possible settings)

I have 5-6 micpres with different character. Good mics, amps, guitars.

Also have access to a PT set up, mac from 2012 / a 2 ch. Presonius. All this is from 10-12 years back.

Now I wish buy my own system.

I have an Edirol keyboard board, fine if this works with the new set up. If not, no big problem.

Last edited by Echomix; 11-06-2023 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomix View Post
Thanks again for all comments.

This thread has been a learning process for me, and because of this I have changed some options on the way. Sorry if confusing.

And yes, I have slowed down, thinking one more time before buying.

I mean laptop MacBook pro M1 ( not desktop Mac ). I have not bought one yet but still looking, and a bit unclear which specs I shoud go for.

I record mostly guitar (acoustic and electric ) and vocals
I also sometimes record Virtual Instruments to accompany the guitars and vocals.

I record either through mics or DI into preamps.
Sometimes I use an amp, mics in front. Or line out signal from amp.

I am more songwriter / song producer / musician. Roots, rock, pop type of music.

I do not record drumkits etc. When needed I can have this done other place.

I need 2 inputs for sure, but 4 inputs would be ideal. (learning process / future possible settings)

I have 5-6 micpres with different character. Good mics, amps, guitars.

Also have access to a PT set up, mac from 2012 / a 2 ch. Presonius. All this is from 10-12 years back.

Now I wish buy my own system.

I have an Edirol keyboard board, fine if this works with the new set up. If not, no big problem.
In reverse order if Roland (who bought Edirol) still makes drivers for you model Edirol that are compatible with the New Apple Arm chips (M1... etc) then It should work. BUT you might have to go on their website or call Roland to find out.

As for your Mic pre's, it is unlikely a modest price Interface will have enough analog in's for that many pres You can always go with patchbay or sans a patchbay and if accessible you can always just change the interconnect cables for you chosen flavor for the session .

As far as computer specs it is generally accepted that the new Arm chips from apple are very efficient in use less RAM to accomplish more so with what you are doing with nominal track counts you can think of 16 GB's as likely performing better or being as capable as say 32 or 48 BG of Intel based RAM

But me personally Even with the new Apple M series chips I would still not go less than 16 and if you can afford it maybe 32

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-08-2023, 11:25 AM

I think it doesn't matter for you, but in my case I was looking for a recorder that records 32 bit depth and there are many of these days
Example:
https://www.thomann.de/intl/sound_de...ixpre_6_ii.htm