Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2001, 05:20 AM

Default iPod? field recording?

just noticed that you can store .wavs etc on the iPod, 5Gb... mmmm

alas i can only see firewire connection and stereo headphone connection..

wondering will it/does it have option of line in/mic input... cheap way to make field recordings, and digital xfer into pro tools... mmm.

anyone? (wishful thinking prob.)

.r [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2001, 07:28 AM

Default Re: iPod? field recording?

Sounds like it's time for some developer to come up with a portable 'cradle' type device with mic/ line inputs and firewire connection.

The iPod is just a storage medium the size of a deck of cards... smaller than Palm Pilot or iPaq...
I think the only thing preventing something like that from being R and D'd is the fact that many companies are scaling back because of the economy....

If you really want to get into it... I am thinking (hoping) that Apple should just go for it and buy-out Palm or Handspring and incorporate the iPod into a PDA or vicaversa... hell throw a phone into the mix as well... think of the possibilities....

Location recording that can be sent real-time via DigiPronet and stored locally simultaneously....

and that's just the audio side of it!!!!

I know I'm dreaming but anything is a possibility.... right?
Old 10-27-2001, 05:09 AM

The fact such products doesn't exist is companies want you still to purchase a high quality field-recorder (like Diva or so) or DAT machines that cost alot and provide non-compressed PCM.

Producing a machine in a size of Palm/iPOD with 5GB data storage and WAVE support for recording (upto 24/96) and with A/Ds and SPDI/F would make other machines worthless.
Such system would be so cheap that it will "crush" other products.

Unlike DAT and HD Based Recorders this system is reliable portable and can capture a lot of time... and it's cheap to produce.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:57 PM

Isn't the iPOD using the IBM mini disk?
Old 10-29-2001, 10:24 PM

No, the pod uses a internal hard disk, and does not record, per se. It can have audio files tranfered to it and then played back form what I understand. I wish it had the MD minidisc interface though, including recording with a line/optical input, that would make the thing perfect. perhaps someone will develope a very small line level/mic preamp that attaches via fire wire to the pod. for recording on the fly. Actually Im wondering if the pod isnt destined to be the "storage" component for a variety of add ons. But then thats a good idea,and they havnt hinted at that if thats its purpose for down the road. And whay wouldnt they? that would only add perceived value for what seems a bit over priced. I figure that in the long run I'll get a ipod, but long after theyve dropped the price, like the cube. By then I'd bet Sony or whoever would have come out with something to bust that market out of the water for apple. Probably wont have really great mac support, but then a simple interface for loading the device is really all thats essential, not the whole itunes exchange. or the market will saturate with competitors, also driving apples interest under- whereas they might have cornered a relativly new segment with the right intital offering, which they have failed to do. Once the internal drives cost is brought down by market demand and production ramping up to meet that demand the prices will fall regardless, so one way or the other look for a less expensive ipod- someday, along with protools X! Look at itthis way, they should be lookign to move 125-250 thousand units intitially, they will be lucky to move 115. The effect will not substantiate further developement, and the ipod will fall. Will there be a 2nd ipod down the road.... Was there a 2nd round of newtons? A product well before its time with as of yet unmatched performance features......
But until then, i allready have a mp3 player ( I waitied along time to jump in, and I'm happy with my mp3 cd player) , and the palm platform is hands down the best PDA for todays users.
Sorry apple, I dont need a $400 iGadget.

Sorry for the long post! I was...elucidating.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:32 AM

here's my take - i don't really mind the MP3 option. I like the look of the whole audio/firewire option. stick the iPod in my back pocket with a nice ickle Sony Stereo Mic - 5Gb of recording space.. while out and about, have the option to record direct - get home, full the files directly onto hard disk > pro tools. rather simple i thought. true it'd blow most products out of the water (DAT etc) for the *price range* .. the convenience level tho' would far surpass for my iPod needs... mmm...
[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2001, 07:40 AM

The mini disk referred to above is IBM's quarter size removeable hard drive (as in two bits for a quarter)

I believe it is available OEM. Makes the notion of memory stick, kind've silly.

Of course, when HPs bacteria grown chips start shipping next year...this tiny hard drive is gonna look silly.

Now where's the 1394 stereo pre/24 bit converter we all need?

Please have phantom 5-48v.