Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 09:06 PM

Default 002 / PT LE 7.3 errors driving me bonkers!

first post.. greetings!

so I've been a pro tools user for years now. have always loved the program. my current rig is a BLA 002 with a mac pro (g5 quad core xeon 6 gigs of ram) with a lot of external pres and two external converters (see below).

lately though, my system has seriously been bumming me out. the mods on it are great, it sounds lovely, but I keep on getting playback buffer errors, on pretty much every possible setting variation in prefs, and sometimes nothing but one audio file in a session.

things I've tried to do:

•every variation setting tried in prefs
•mac optimizations set
•re-install pro tools software
•cs updates
•re-install mac OS and pro tools software
•delete preferences, repair disk permissions
•ran the new utility tool
•swapped out firewire cable
•swapped out lightpipe cables (I clock my 002 adat to a rosetta 800 and a mytek stereo adc coming in spdf... wordclock sent by apogee rosetta into the mytek).

I was thinking it might have been the BLA mod I did, but I talked to the company and they said it sounded like a software issue. of course they would say that, but my friend came over to do a session in logic and the 002 didn't crash once with the same setup. we worked for hours on end... made me think the hardware unit is pretty stable.

so I'm just really bummed out 'cause after I did a whole OS reinstall today, I started a session which I thought would be my new beginning with pro tools LE, but then that dreaded error popped up five minutes into the session!

man, is there anybody out there having the same issue? is there something troubleshooting-wise I am missing which somebody out there can offer up.

thanks for any help!

oto
Old 08-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: 002 / PT LE 7.3 errors driving me bonkers!

Before 7.3 ive never had any issues with crazy errors 6086 etc etc, but ive been having them same frustration you are having. Looks like you tried everything for the most part. Maybe try purchasing and installing another firewire port (40$) . What seems to have worked for me today is plugging my 002 into the front port on my powerpcg5 and my external HD to the back fw port. Before i had it plugged in the opposite. I also switched on my buffer setting from 2 processor to 1 and i havent had an errors in 2 days. again it seems like its diff for every person. But digi better get thier act together there are some bad bugs going on with this crap. If HD wasnt 20 grand i would pick it up in a second just to avoid this hassle of (le) . try moving your plugins to a new folder and opening pro tools and then seeing if the errors still exist. if thiere are no more errors this would mean thatyou have either corppt plugins or some sort or a crack that is messing with the digi002 firware when used with SLOW tools.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:13 PM

yeah, I don't remember it being this bad. and the fact that I now have a powerful machine, it's such a drag that this is happening. I was thinking about purchasing a new firewire port... will try swapping the plugs like you did and putting it on 1 processor and see if that works (though I think I might have tried this already).

after my mac OS reinstall I only loaded up the music production toolkit plugs and xpand, all which are digidesign-made. I have no cracks, all legit and current versions. the session I was working in just had a stereo mp3 in it, maybe a couple of inactive tracks.

it seems one day one thing works in terms of troubleshooting, and the next day it takes another creative idea. I'm with you, I feel digi have some serious issues to address.

let's hope. I don't have the patience to learn logic of the $ for HD.

thanks.

oto
Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 PM

I'm curious... What sample rates have you been using?

I have been seeing a similar problem. I have 10.4.10 did the whole pre-binding thing and it seemed to work ok, but the I did a 88.2 session, and all "hell" broke loose...

I am perplexed, I have another post in here about the same thing. I think it's clock issues or something
Old 08-18-2007, 12:59 PM

mostly 44.1 or 48, never above that. I don't think 10.4.10 is cleared by digidesign as a compatible OS upgrade (though you might know this).

what's the pre-binding you talk of?

I was thinking it might be a clocking issue. if you are using an external converter, I'm not sure you can clock to adat above 48, so double check you are clocking internally.

on another note, I'm syncing an apogee rosetta and mytek stereo adc. the digi is clocking to adat with the mytek hooked up spdf. and I believe rosette is giving wordclock to the mytek. I was told that in this scenario (using the 2 additional converters coming in adat and spdf) the only way to sync all units would be via adat. BLA had told they didn't ses a reason why I couldn't clock internally. would you happen to know if I could clock internally and have apogee and mytek chase the digi clock?

just curious.

thanks.

oto
Old 08-18-2007, 03:51 PM

Im actually thinking of switching over to nuendo/cubase for main tracking and mixing. And stil using the digi002 with pro tools just for drum and bass editing other than that i think i will ditch it. HD seems to crazy to spend 20 grand on a basic system when you can get apogee and RME converters and clocks that sound just as great if not better for 13 grand less probably.