Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Apogee DA-AD 16X as hardware inserts - small timing probs?

I’m thinking of buying a HD Accel HD2 or HD3 rig in the near future... to use with my Mac Pro.

I’m probably going to buy ad da 16X Apogee converters, (and X-HD cards) and not a Digi 192. (don’t try to talk me out of using Apogee - as I like Apogee stuff a lot... my only other option would be to also buy a Digi 192 just to have a fairly fail-safe interface always on hand - in terms of possible software upgrades and possible temporary incompatibilities.)

So - my understanding is that the actual converter timing of Apogee’s 16X series of converters is slightly different than the Digi 192 interfaces.

I’d love to be able to turn on delay compensation within ProTools, and then send aux sends and auxes to run out to analog compressors, then back in on aux inputs, to do parallel drum compression. I’d also love to be able to insert analog EQ and analog compressors across some tracks.

My concern is that this may prove to be problematic.... due to it not being +/-1 sample. I’d like things to remain in phase as much as possible.... and not have to deal with time adjuster plugs, or shifting tracks.

Also - I understand that the AD/DA 16x appear in a slightly odd configuration in the I/O setup. Will this prove to be a pain at all, and how will my desire to do inserts and parallel compression work?

Thanks for any advice or tips.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Apogee DA-AD 16X as hardware inserts - small timing prob

go for the apogees! i´am using them and everyting works (and sounds) fine!! and you don´t need to purchase a 192. in case of analog inserts this will be interesting if you don´t already read it:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/support/adcalc.php

and heres another thread on this...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...rt=&PHPSESSID=

hope that helps! cheers, alex
Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 PM

aha!

thanks for the awesome info

much appreciated

cheers

Old 03-24-2007, 05:47 PM

the plot thickens...

so what if I have a bunch of audio tracks, and I have an aux send on all of them, and I send varous amounts from these tracks, then I route that aux send buss to an aux in, and do a hardware insert across that aux in..... and i'm using an Apogee interface with X-HD card (nort a digi 192) and across that aux in I insert an analog compressor, then I want to mix that compressed signal back in (from the aux in) with my mix (thus being parallel compression)....

won't it be a problem? As the timing of the Apogee converters is different than what it thinks is there....

Any easy and smart workarounds?

I'd prefer to buy Apogee converters and an X-HD card, and not have to buy a Digi 192 (as the ability for the Apogee converters to be used standalone would have some advantages for me)

thanks