Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Still-Buffering Issues

Well, this is getting frustrating... after trashing prefs, running disk repair permissions and emptying the trash.. my computer (Mac G4) is still stopping, with only a couple of tracks are running, telling me to increase my buffer.... nothing seems to be working... any thoughts on what else I can try? It does'nt matter what session I have open either... thanks,
Old 01-30-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Still-Buffering Issues

Quote:
Well, this is getting frustrating... after trashing prefs, running disk repair permissions and emptying the trash.. my computer (Mac G4) is still stopping, with only a couple of tracks are running, telling me to increase my buffer.... nothing seems to be working... any thoughts on what else I can try? It does'nt matter what session I have open either... thanks,
Can't help you, but I've also been experiencing A LOT of these errors since I upgraded to 7.3.1

I've done EVERYTHING I could that's mentioned in the troubleshooting guide, but still buffer troubles... Especially while recording, wich is SUPER annoying

Running OSX 10.4.8 on a G5 with 2GB Ram
and on a MacBook 2GHz Core Duo also with 2GB Ram

With 002r & Mbox 2 Mini (on both systems)

Didn't have these probs with 7.1(.1)...

ps: and yes, all my plug-ins are PT7 compatible
Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 PM

I'm still at 7.0 and have had no problems at all... that's why I have'nt upgraded.. it's been runnin so smoothly... I've done everything in the trouble shooting guide also.. maybe someone will give us some help...
Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 PM

Well I'm having the same problems on a Mac Pro running 7.1.1 so don't feel left out. I have 4GB RAM, 12 tacks playing back, 12 plugins and 1024 buffer size and I get the "The Operating System held off interrupts..." after about 15 secs of playback, EVERY TIME I HIT PLAY. Absurd, this was not happening a couple weeks ago, with a session running 32 tracks and 70 plugins at 512 buffer size. Why is this happening all of the sudden on every session, and of course the with a huge album to mix in the next two weeks. Digi Support will you please respond to this one, you always seem to be awfully quiet every time I post a concern. Why would this all of the sudden be happening??? This computer was blazing for the last 4 months, and now I literally can't even edit.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 PM

not letting this one drop here folks, no answers from digi???
Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 PM

now a test... no plugins, no apogee rosetta... no programs running... fresh restart... new fire wire cable... running the session off an 80GB Oxford 911 chipset FW drive... plugged straight into the Mac Pro... 1024 Buffer size... and...

13 secs of play same error... Increase Hardware buffer size! WTF!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 PM

ok... Saved Session Copy to a new 80GB Identical drive, doing the same crap. Can't get it to play more than 15-20 at any buffer setting. Saved Session Copy of the original with plugins, same thing. But I did notice when I take an L1 Limiter off the bass I can get it to play for several minutes, at 128 and up. SO there's part of the problem. But I only have one L1 and one MetaFlanger as far as Waves plugins. Other than that just EQIII's, a couple Dverbs and BF3A's. I find it insane that I can't even get to 25% CPU usage before these buffer errors happen... and why all of a sudden?? Anyone having problems with there Waves bundles, I have the Gold. Trouble shooting has fried my brain, back again in the morning...
Old 01-30-2007, 11:21 PM

I have also been having this, exact same problem, with 7.3.1

had no problems, with 7.1.1
i a was thinking, of going back to 7.1.1, but i'm not doing any session's, for the next couple of weeks,
so i am hoping that Digi, will get
this problem fixed Soon.!!

002, G5 200ghz Dual, OSX 10.4.8l, 1.5GB

I would love to have this thing to work, Right.
Like My Credit Card, Worked Right, at Purchase Time.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:28 AM

Hi,
from what I understand, and having had similar problems initially on my G4 1.25 Dual and 7.1, just having incompatible plug-ins in the plug-ins folder is sufficient to create buffer under-runs/over-runs. Apparently, even if the plug-ins are not inserted in a session, their presence in the Folder is enough to create problems.
I had to pay to upgrade my Waves to v5( although I refused to pay the outrageous amount to upgrade my Gold bundle, I just did the Native !!).
My system now runs fine, but does have the occasional blip-but it has taken a lot of time and trouble to get it to be as stable as 6.9 ever was.

Incidentally, I just finished recording a location session with my Pismo laptop, Tiger 10.4.8, and PTools LE 7.1,002 and RME mic pres, recording 8 tracks, NO plug-ins, and all went fine for 2 days, albeit at high buffer settings. This with only 750 Meg Ram, onto external Firewire drive-so a G5 should be no problem.

I am reluctant to upgrade to 7.3., and I do agree that PTools does not seem as reliable as it used to be, and far too "touchy" re plug-ins etc- maybe people are asking for too many new whizzy features, and that these come at the cost of less reliability?
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 01-31-2007, 11:33 AM

i have buffer errors left and right
pro tools looses touch with the 002 all the time
i can't save files because i get the vdb error or what ever it is
i can't keep track of the number of errors i get

i have even had them with one instrument track!!!!!!!!! ( using BFD )
and my BFD is on it's own drive !?!?!?!?
and pro tools has it's own drive !?!?!?!?
this is really out of hand
it cripples my godzilla sized rig
PLEASE DIGIDESIGN !!!!!!!!!!
FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!
it's funny that you pay for a useless "upgrade"
and all it reallllly does is make you need another "upgrade"
if i sound bent
it's cuz i'm bent

i have done everything
un-installed and re-installed pro tools
repaired permissions
trashed prefrences
removed data bases
purchased more ( very expensive ) RAM ( i'm now up to 5 GB of RAM )
and i'm running an intel with 2 X dual core Xeon processors!!!!!!!!
that's 4 processors!!!!
checked for 7.x incompatible plug ins
so all of my intel and universal plug ins should be new and up to par...!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
i have changed the alowed amount of tracking time and made it 5 min.
i have my buffer @ 8 and my CPU usage @ 95% and my buffer size @ 1024
WTF! charles? i still get errors with one track !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is a pro tools problem
not a user problem
not a apple problem
not a OS X problem
i mean c'mon garage band works better than this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and it came free with my computer

so digidesign please fix this!
and please let us know when you are going to fix this!?!
there are people who need to get work done
there are people who have spent their money with you
and like your product ( when it works )
and i am ......as are the rest of the users of pro tools LE
your advertisers
our clients see us use your product
some times our clients buy your product
and some of us use HD at our studios
and have LE units at home

alot of us have more than one rig
in one way or another

this is a real issue that deserves attention A.S.A.P