Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2016, 01:51 PM

Default Re: HD Omni and 5.1 Surround Monitoring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
I built in some speakers mutes, dims, and mute into my template. Not that you need overall dim and mute for the omni, but when I take my session to multiple stages its easy to have them, if needed.

I have a master fader for my monitor output bus. I have 8 trim plugins inserted. The first two are my "dim" and "mute" switches. The next 6 are mutes for each channel. They are multi-mono plugins with the channels unlinked. So each plugin mutes only 1 channel.

By default all of these plugins are bypassed. I just have to un-bypass the one(s) I want and they work as expected. So for example to mute the L channel I would un-bypass my 3rd trim plugin.

If you wanted to do speaker solos instead of mutes each trim plugin would just have every channel muted except for the channel you want solo'd. Or you could setup mute/solo groups by muting or "soloing" multiple channels per trim plugin.

On your S6 or S3 it would be super easy to engage these with the "in" switches, though the logic of it might be backwards from the button light. lol

Hope that helps
Good idea. I thought about doing just this but never got around to it. It's a little convoluted but functional.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-10-2016, 04:11 PM

I think it is really a shame that Avid hasn't developed their interfaces with some of the features as their competitors. They sound amazing. For example, they should have built that remote for the OMNI. Or imagine, if you could use an iPad to remotely control each interface, like you can with RME's totalmix. In fact, they should build a little dsp mix program to control the DSP when using them with other software. But they haven't even fixed the core audio issues they've had for what, years now? Tons of people work in a mix-daw environment. Shame.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
I think it is really a shame that Avid hasn't developed their interfaces with some of the features as their competitors. They sound amazing. For example, they should have built that remote for the OMNI. Or imagine, if you could use an iPad to remotely control each interface, like you can with RME's totalmix. In fact, they should build a little dsp mix program to control the DSP when using them with other software. But they haven't even fixed the core audio issues they've had for what, years now? Tons of people work in a mix-daw environment. Shame.
Yes there should have been a remote for the Omni when it was released. Along with an integrated monitor section in the PT software, for example selecting certain busses as monitor sources, selectable folddown, speaker solo & mute, etc... All of which could be controlled from the Omni remote, S6 touchscreen, PT Control app, everything. That would be huge. Instead they apparently had an excess inventory of XMon to unload