Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2010, 02:34 PM

Question midi selections in midi editor with piano roll

when I open a midi region in pro tools 8.1 by double clicking on it in the edit window the midi editor opens. as it is a region containing midi notes to trigger strike VI I only want to modify the notes for the hihat in that particular region... when I use the piano roll by clicking the specific key to select only the hihat midi notes in that region I opened the hihat midi notes of the entire TRACK become selected which is not what I wanted. what am I doing wrong ? any help is highly appreciated
Old 09-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Default Re: midi selections in midi editor with piano roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_the_manic View Post
when I use the piano roll by clicking the specific key to select only the hihat midi notes in that region I opened the hihat midi notes of the entire TRACK become selected
That is by design.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 PM

thanks filosofem ! that is what I feared. hopefully it will get fixed in a future update like pro tools 8.2 ! it makes no sense to me when I want to work on a specific region and want to select notes fast IN THAT REGION by clicking on the piano roll in midi editor the notes of the ENTIRE TRACK become selected. AVID please fix ! the only workaround would be to lock every midi region I want to keep away from incidently editing like locking an audio region. I hope this is possible. anyway thanks again filosofem for your comment and all your other statements, hints and advices here. they are and were very helpful to me and I guess to many other users too.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:18 PM

I can understand your frustration but there are many uses that prefer that mode of operation. Perhaps you could change the way you work by splitting the drum track in separate instruments per track.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 AM

to me it seems more logical selecting and editing a note from the piano roll in a specific region in midi editor should affect only notes in that region... you have a piano roll in the edit window as well... editing the entire track should be done from that roll...
Old 09-27-2010, 03:16 AM

to all interested in my midi madness: I just tried to solve my problem by locking midi regions on a track I do not want to be edited: PT8.1 reacts as follows: a warning pop up window appears saying: *you are going to edit parts of locked regions, proceed?* if I click yes I am where I have been if I select cancel everything stays the same. here I go *shift click* again... tiresome...