Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM

Default How would you use/setup this studio?

Hey guys, sorry if some of my questions are naive, im new to a lot of this and i thank you in advance for your patience.

I have a DIGI002 which I have attached an presonus octopre to via the line inputs. I also have a Digimax FS connected to my optical giving me a total of 16 inputs.

I also have a Mackie 32 track 8 bus recording console with a meter bridge.

I'd like to make the best use of my equitment for tracking, mixing and mastering and I'm not quite sure what's the best way to go about it... if there's a good way to use everything I have to its fullest or if it's recommended I need another piece or two. Obviously the mackie console doesn't have automation so I cant control whats going on in protools with that console.

I'd just like a loose idea on how to set up my studio.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Default Re: How would you use/setup this studio?

How you proceed will depend on a lot of things.

Do you have a budget?
Are you recording a full band live?
Is your goal to just record yourself or others?
Are you recording in a treated room?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezguy View Post
How you proceed will depend on a lot of things.

Do you have a budget?
Are you recording a full band live?
Is your goal to just record yourself or others?
Are you recording in a treated room?

I've spent a lot of money already, if there's another piece thats not too expensive but needed I'll get it but I'd prefer to make the most out of what I have.

There will be a full band recorded at times, yes.

I will be recording others, yes.

The rooms not treated, no isolation and minimal soundproofing.

thx!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 AM

Acoustic treatment and soundproofing are as important as any piece of equipment(unless you just want to have fun and don't care if the end result doesn't sound good).

You will need some good mics, plenty of stands and cables too. Plus a headphone system and several sets of decent phones(all matched is a good idea). I like the Sony MDR-V600(great value at around $75, plenty loud with good isolation).

You CAN use the Mackie for tracking(feed all the channel direct outputs to line inputs of your 002/Digimax setup. That way you could do some headphone mixes off the Mackie. As handy as that may be, dumping the Mackie and running an i7 computer will allow you to create several headphone mixes in the MIX window. I would NOT mixdown thru the Mackie and(my opinion only) would rather not have that behemoth burning up space in my control room.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Well I have the mixer so I'm going to make the best out of it. What do you mean by headphone mix?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:12 PM

DON'T DUMP THE MACKIE!!!! Marry older technology with new technology. It's the only way to fly. Do you want to push a button and slide up a fader, or always be repatching stuff? Paging thru line after line of presets to adjust levels or just tweak the fader? Do you ike having monitor control, talkback, and multiple sends to make headphone mixes?
KEEP THE MACKIE!!!!!!

http://www.southwestrecording.com/xf...t/STUDIO-2.JPG
Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 PM

order of importance.

Comp
Sound dapening/proofing,
monitors,
Pres, Mixers, interfaces,
Mic *with special attention to quality, Low quality pre's, go with low quality mics, high with high, etc.*
everything else.

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
Axiom 49 Midi Controller,
Akai MPK 61 Midi Controller,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Wish List: 2 Months.
Digi 003 BLA Mod,

MBP i5, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB of ram, 320GB internal, 500GB External Firewire, Waves Mercury,

Dverb Test - 156

"How you gon' do an 'Intro' to an 'Outro'?"
-Steezy on "Goodbye" By Spliit
Old 01-20-2010, 09:35 PM

albee is right on the money as always. Your acoustic treatment will make more of a difference than having that old mackie board taking up space and not adding any real value to your setup. Acoustic treatment requires you to take the time to understand what will be needed for your particular room. Proper treatment allow you to properly hear what is being recorded/mixed. This is especially true if you are using your Pro Tools system to track an entire band.

Secondly you a bit vague on what kinds of mics, headphone system, monitor system, computer etc you have, so it really is difficult to get a complete picture of what you want to do.

Last edited by pezguy; 01-20-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: didn't finish sentence
Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM

yeah im trying to figure out the best way to use the gear I have with minimal additions. not that im not willing, just trying to be conservative.

DIGI 002
Presonus Octopre
Digimax FS
Mackie 32/8 bus console with meter bridge
Beringher Truth Monitors
Have a few 57's and 58's in my studio, a few low priced condensor mics, a D112 for the bass drum and 1 decent sterling audio condensor mic. not sure the model but it ran me about 400.

I understand the outputs of the mackie go into the inputs of the Pro Tools setup, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to track, mix and master.

Also, sorry, but what's a headphone mix?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
DON'T DUMP THE MACKIE!!!! Marry older technology with new technology. It's the only way to fly. Do you want to push a button and slide up a fader, or always be repatching stuff? Paging thru line after line of presets to adjust levels or just tweak the fader? Do you ike having monitor control, talkback, and multiple sends to make headphone mixes?
KEEP THE MACKIE!!!!!!

http://www.southwestrecording.com/xf...t/STUDIO-2.JPG
Thanks, I am. Can you give me some more info on how to use it to its best ability?

thanks!