Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Anyone else here just HATE Avid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
Dude PT8 IS DEAD just in case you have been living under a rock lately.
I wouldn't call PT8 dead, its still a very useful tool that i use and i'm sure other people have as backups. Not to say PT9 isnt awesome or anything i just wouldn't go calling it a dead product, when some people still use 7.4... :P

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 02-28-2011, 08:15 PM

I did, I don't. They learn.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
It's the little things Avid does to CLEARLY define LIMITED EDITION that insults me.

Sound's like the guy who bought the cheapest Kia on the lot and then bitched because it didn't have all of the features a Mercedes Benz does...

I'm sorry dude, that just doesn't make sense. I think I see what you're trying to say, but it doesn't apply. It seems like Avid (like most American Corporations, in particular software developers), are doing what they can to stay ahead. At our expense? OF COURSE, but they probably wouldn't have to if so many people weren't so crooked, and dishonest, pirating all the software they can get their hands on.
Does ANYONE understand how an economy works? You need to PAY for things so that you can OWN them, and then then people who SOLD them can SURVIVE.
WHY is this so hard for Americans to understand?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonicweird View Post
I'm sorry dude, that just doesn't make sense. I think I see what you're trying to say, but it doesn't apply. It seems like Avid (like most American Corporations, in particular software developers), are doing what they can to stay ahead. At our expense? OF COURSE, but they probably wouldn't have to if so many people weren't so crooked, and dishonest, pirating all the software they can get their hands on.
Does ANYONE understand how an economy works? You need to PAY for things so that you can OWN them, and then then people who SOLD them can SURVIVE.
WHY is this so hard for Americans to understand?
Oh, it's not just the united states (heck I'm in Quebec and part of north America so I get touchy about this :P ). Europeans (Russia and the old cccp confederation) are big on pirating also in the asian regions. So i wouldn't say that it's only the United states, although there is a lot there too.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Well, as my brand new MBox Pro isn't working and I've since discovered that I'd have to pre-pay for support to report a problem with AVID's own hardware, I can't say I'm too much in favour of the company right at this point

Once I get the MBox issue solved (new unit on order) I'm sure I'll cool down a bit

R
Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Well, as my brand new MBox Pro isn't working and I've since discovered that I'd have to pre-pay for support to report a problem with AVID's own hardware, I can't say I'm too much in favour of the company right at this point

Once I get the MBox issue solved (new unit on order) I'm sure I'll cool down a bit

R
Did you not get an ASC with your new Mbox Pro purchase? You should have, which would entitle you to a free call.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Did you not get an ASC with your new Mbox Pro purchase? You should have, which would entitle you to a free call.
You know I've purchased quite a few products over the last few months and I received a few "free" ASC's. I've had to use them to inform Avid of bugs with the software and problems with installers. After spending hours doing lot's of troubleshooting myself, I am able to narrow things down to where the problem is occurring. So my "free" ASC's are not really free, they cost me a lot of time and effort on my part to find problems that are not associated with my computer or user error, but clearly faults and bugs with the software.
Now if I was to have a problem I can't solve myself, I would have to pay for an ASC as I have used up my "free" ones.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2 View Post
You know I've purchased quite a few products over the last few months and I received a few "free" ASC's. I've had to use them to inform Avid of bugs with the software and problems with installers. After spending hours doing lot's of troubleshooting myself, I am able to narrow things down to where the problem is occurring. So my "free" ASC's are not really free, they cost me a lot of time and effort on my part to find problems that are not associated with my computer or user error, but clearly faults and bugs with the software.
Now if I was to have a problem I can't solve myself, I would have to pay for an ASC as I have used up my "free" ones.
But... that's the thing. You have earned ASCs by helping out and providing relevant and helpful feedback. I guarantee you that 95% of all people who call any support line are asking questions that could easily be found in the manual or by coming here. It seems to me that's the reasoning for Avid's decision to charge for customer support. Pro Tools is not a simple software, but there is a plethora of information available to those willing to put in the time and effort to search for it.

I certainly never call support lines, especially since most of the time I am met with someone who asks condescending questions and assumes I know nothing about the product I am using.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
But... that's the thing. You have earned ASCs by helping out and providing relevant and helpful feedback.
I have????? great can you send them to me please, just in case I need them.

Quote:
I guarantee you that 95% of all people who call any support line are asking questions that could easily be found in the manual or by coming here. It seems to me that's the reasoning for Avid's decision to charge for customer support. Pro Tools is not a simple software, but there is a plethora of information available to those willing to put in the time and effort to search for it.
I agree and I think those people should be charged for "lessons" on how to use the software.

Quote:
I certainly never call support lines, especially since most of the time I am met with someone who asks condescending questions and assumes I know nothing about the product I am using.
Or worse, you are met with someone in tech support who knows very little about the product they are supporting.
Case in point: a recent call to tech support.

Ring ring: Wait on hold for 40 minutes
DTS: Hello.
Me. Hi I am calling regarding a problem with banking faders on a 003 console that is hooked up with a Axiom pro 49.
DTS: What version of Pt's are you using?
ME: Pt's V9.0.1.
DTS: What computer?
Me: Mac Pro 1.1 Dual core 2.0
DTS: What version of Pt's are you using?
Me: Ahhhh PT9 v9.0.1
DTS Yes but what version is it?
Me: I'm sorry I am not sure what other information you are looking for here.
DTS: Well is it Protools M-powered or Protools LE or Protools SE or protools HD?
Me: Well I am using it with 003 so it is not HD and I was under the impression that since version 9 came out there was no more SE, LE, or M-powered versions, it is just ProTools 9. Is that not the case?
DTS: Oh yeah, Ok then what's the problem?

I can see this call is going to go well.

Me: Well there is a conflict in the software between the 003 and the AXPro. When I set up the AxPro in the peripherals I can not use the fader bank button on the 003. It gets stuck on whatever bank has the selected track in it.
DTS: Hold please.
Wait another 15 minutes.....I'm thinking he went for a coffee break
DTS: Hi, you can't use the Axiom pro and the 003 together.
Me: What do you mean I can't use them together? You have a sales pitch video of Phil Jackson using them together and throwing away his keyboard.
DTS: Hang on a minute.
Wait for another 10 minutes....cigarette this time?
DTS: Hi, I just spoke with a senior engineer and he said you can't use those 2 together as control surfaces.
Me: Well that's not acceptable, can I speak to the supervisor or senior engineer please.
Wait another 10 minutes......Engineer must be a long walk away in another building and he doesn't know how to use transfer on the phone.
DTS: Ah the engineer is busy and he is just going to tell you the same thing.
Me: So you are telling me that the $3k worth of gear I have bought will not work together even though you have a video showing the same set up?
DTS: Well you just can't use the 003 and axiom pro together as control surfaces.
Me: Well I guess I had better get a refund then, but I would like to speak to a supervisor
Short wait this time,(5 minutes) must be getting sick of me by now.
DTS: All our supervisors and the senior engineer are on other calls right now.
We will have someone call you back tomorrow.
Me: Thank you.

One hour and 35 minutes later, still feeling frustrated.

Next day, get the call from a senior tech at M-Audio.
Me: hi, I thought you guys were avid now?
DTS: Well we are but still in a separate area. So at the moment we know there is a problem with the banking on the 003 when hooked up with the axiom pro and PT9 so we are working on a fix. Not sure when it will be done.

I LOVE AVID!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 PM

Hehe, I can understand how frustrating this is, but I think I know what he was saying.

As a controller. Meaning as an utility to manipulate PT. So basically you could use the axopro to input your midi data as a midi piano controller, but not control the fader, plugins etc in PT.

That's how it reads to me anyhow.

Wave-T.com