Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2004, 06:35 AM

Default LE 6.2.3 Static Or White Noise During Playback!!

Ok, iBook G3 900mhz, 612 ram 60 gig hd, 002 with a 40 gig firewire drive, OS 10.3.3

I have no idea what this is, but I assume it will come down to processing power, which is not cool. Let's say I start a new session and import audio to 3 different tracks. Go back, record another 2 or 3 tracks of audio, mono for this example. Start to playback, everything will be fine until I hit a new region of audio, then the loudest static or white noise comes blasting through the speakers, or to my artist's delight, their headphones. Now, stop playback, drop the marker somewhere in that same audio region that triggered the noise, and it plays fine. Move the marker a bar or two in reverse, back to terribly loud noise again.

I'm totally lost and I never had this happen with 5.3.x on Jaguar.

Does anybody have a clue?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:14 AM

Default Re: LE 6.2.3 Static Or White Noise During Playback!!

I had the same problem the other day. I have no idea what it is, probably another stupid bug!!! I just restarted and everything worked okay
Old 04-21-2004, 07:33 AM

Default Re: LE 6.2.3 Static Or White Noise During Playback!!

Well, it seems like it is more prone to happen during certain sessions, all with a decent track and plugin count. I wonder if the plugin could be the issue because we are talking mostly vocal tracks, so in the very least each one has compression on it. Ive even nuked and reloaded the os and then pro tools, same issue.

The only other thing I can think of, is the software updates. I did bring down the only OS X update to the operating system itself, so I wonder if that could trigger anything like this but I dont see how. It's just odd because according to what I am seeing the disk is not straining and the system is not straining for resources.

Totally lost.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Re: LE 6.2.3 Static Or White Noise During Playback

This is usually due to one of a couple reasons-- you're using Waves 4 plugins, which need to be updated, or your FW drive can't handle the throughput. The more tracks, the more information it needs to move. If the FW bridge isn't up to the task PT seems to just substitute the "White noise" instead of stopping and telling you that it can't handle it.

Does the drive use the Oxford 911 chipset? I had a drive in a non-Oxford FW drive enclosure that did exactly what you explained. I took the drive out and installed it internally on my desktop machine-- worked flawlessly.
---
c
Old 04-21-2004, 08:15 AM

I've heard too much about this damn 911 chipset. I knew of it before I even got this rig, and when I bought the hd I found nothing about it anywhere. The drive itself is a Western Digital. I bought a USB/FW case for it. The case also says jack about the 911 chipset, so truthfully at this point I have no idea. It sucks that the DIGI drives are so expensive. I guess a starting point would be to grab someone with a nice fw drive and try it out to see if there are any issues. It's just odd, I've stuck drives far worse than the one I'm running right now on this rig when I was running 5.3.x and never had this happen before. Although, didnt 5.3.x actually just stop when it hit a buffer or resources issue?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:47 AM

You didn't mention that you use Waves, so I'm guessing that's not your issue-- however it may be for cliepe.

Do you know what brand the enclosure is? The drive itself is probably fine. If you were to put in into a new enclosure (if the current isn't Oxford) it should make things better.

Something like this would do the trick.
---
c
Old 04-21-2004, 09:21 AM

I'm going to have to see what I can dig up abou the enclosure, that may very well be the issue. And no, I do not have anything from Waves running on the iBook, just the base plugins that came with the current version. I have a beast of an XP machine I built around the specs for this version of Pro Tools that I have yet to have any issues with and thats where the bulk of my plugins reside, and even that has had some issues with the buffer settings, but nothing too major. I'll start with the enclosure and check the HD docs again.

Thanks for the suggestions guys
Old 04-21-2004, 09:42 PM

I am using a dedicated internal 7200rpm IBM drive. I am using the waveshell 4.0.1_x.
This problem has only happened to me twice, and both times, I just restarted and all was well.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:26 AM

Well, I dug up about as much as I could about the FW enclosure I'm using, and I think that's the issue. No mention of the Oxford chipset, no mention of anything really. I'm just going to get a better case for the HD and see if that does it. I know the drive itself is fine, and last night I did actually manage to get the error I assumed all this was attributed to about not being able to pull audio from the drive fast enough. I wonder why I actually got it last night and never before.

Either way, I'm looking into enclosures.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:52 AM

Hey cwhite771, thanks again for reminding me about that chipset. I'm almost certain that's the issue. Just realized you live out here too. Know of any local stores that sell the enclosures? I would think Circuit City or Best Buy on the Blvd, maybe even Guitar Center. Just wanted to see if you know of one that definitely had them before I made the trip. If not, I'm buying over the net and gotta wait.