Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2022, 05:50 PM

Default Is perpetual licence no longer sold?

Hi I did a search but couldn’t find if avid still offer a perpetual licence for PT? Does anyone know? Thanks 🙏
H
Old 04-15-2022, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Is perpetual licence no longer sold?

You need to look a little.

Avid Store page for Pro Tools is going to push subscriptions. Look for "Want to buy a new perpetual license for Pro Tools? Get it here." This link may or may not work: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...ew&cclcl=en_US

AFAIK all the big Avid dealer's web site has perpetual license clearly for sale. If you are confused about stuff I'd suggest talking to a sales rep at a dealer. In the USA my favorite is Vintage King.

Make sure you want a perpetual license, and that you understand the bad implications of letting a update/support plan lapse etc., and the cost of that plan. A subscription might be the better choice for you.
Old 04-15-2022, 06:12 PM

Hey thanks much, avid really are hiding that as the 7th para in small text on the page! And it doesn’t seem to show the cost of the yearly support plan after year 1?

I currently have a PTU annual subscription and use it with HD Native unit + MTRX Studio, I assume I can downgrade to PT Standard perpetual with no issues? Thanks again! :)

H
Old 04-15-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
Hey thanks much, avid really are hiding that as the 7th para in small text on the page! And it doesn’t seem to show the cost of the yearly support plan after year 1?

I currently have a PTU annual subscription and use it with HD Native unit + MTRX Studio, I assume I can downgrade to PT Standard perpetual with no issues? Thanks again! :)

H
You really should talk to a dealer.

No there is no "downgrade" program from Ultimate to Standard (well there is stuff with Carbon, but a different discussion). Certainly not from a subscription to a perpetual license... that would make no sense. You don't own anything/you don't have anything to downgrade, you have an annual subscription. If you could use Pro Tools standard here, you would just buy a new licenses if you are on a subscription now. But you can't anyhow (see below). Be careful you really mean you are on a subscription now not a perpetual license with support/renewal plan. If the later I would be very careful not to let that plan lapse.

You need Pro Tools Ultimate to work with any Digilink interface including MTRX Studio, should have been clear when you purchased the MTRX studio. So if you are using it via DigiLink you must have Pro Tools Ultimate. If you want to use it via Dante, then you can do that with Pro Tools standard as well.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-15-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2022, 04:07 PM

Thanks Darryl, appreciate your clear points!

Cheers
H