Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 09:17 AM

Default What\'s the diff between SDll, AIFF, BFW.wav???

I've never bounced files to BWF.wav. I have always bounced using SDll or AIFF's. But today My client request that all files be .wav files. So, I spent about two hours bouncing about 20 songs to stereo Interleave/16bit/44.1khz/BFW.wav as client requested.

But, neither Toast or Masterlist will not accept the files so I can burn to CD.

Therefore, I had to rebounce all files to AIFF...now both Toast and Masterlist accept the files with no problem.

What's up with BWF.wav???

Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: What\'s the diff between SDll, AIFF, BFW.wav???

As I understand it, SDII files are protools proprietary. Wav. and AIFF files are very similar(wav. is a PC file protocol and AIFF is the MAC version of essentially the same thing). My PC with 6.4 reads and writes AIFF and wav just fine. I think 6.7 is supposed to be able to read older SDII files as well without any conversion. Wave is certainly an industry standard format so you will be helping your self if you can read/write to that format. Wave files will open and play in any DAW software or platform. I am surprised that Toast could not burn a CD with them. Maybe you need an update. I use WaveLab for CD burning so I have no experience with Toast.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-16-2005, 10:55 AM

All 3 are essentially the same (PCM encoded) except fpr the headers.

The client requested .wav files, the key word is "files", not an audio CD.

Masterlist is a Redbook program (audio CD) so of course it refused.

Using Toast, you must specify a "DATA" CD, and make it Mac/PC compatible.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:31 PM

So let me try to clarify what you are telling me.......I can't burn an audio CD whose files have been bounced as BFW.wav. Therefore, only SDll and AIFF should be use if I need to burn standard audio CDs. And that BFW.wav is considered only Data Files.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:23 PM

If you client requested WAV files.. they want the data files.. not an audio CD.

Older versions of Toast would not create audio CD's from WAV files.. use iTunes for creating an audio CD (but that's not what your client wants).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-16-2005, 05:46 PM

.AIFF Audio Interchange File Format, an Apple Computer audio file format.

.WAV Pronounced "wave"; Microsoft's Audio File Format. Can be read by Pro Tools on both Macintosh and Windows platforms..

Sound Designer II (SDII) file format Digidesign's high-quality digital audio file format.

you could have converted aiff files to wav in itunes prefs>import>choose wav, drag your file
go to advance and choose convert, and save lots of time. or burn data on itunes prefs>burn>data,
or use other program to convert like biaspeak. i agree with diaf and rail, the client ask for data.
cheers.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:45 AM

Yes, Agree.

But one last clarification: BFW.wav is NOT a standard audio CD file that I can burn and play on any standard audio CD player...Is that correct???

Even though I have the option to bounce- to -disc using BFW.wav....BFW.wav is really just considered a DATA file and can not be played in a standard CD player??

Does the Digi ProTools Reference Guide explain all this in great detail Or does Digi just assume we (all) engineers already know it all?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
does Digi just assume we (all) engineers already know it all?
If you choose to call yourself an "Engineer".. you should have spent 4 years in college (or an equivalent time studying under a qualified Engineer)... and know it all.. yes

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-17-2005, 08:03 PM

Thanks, Rail Jon Rogut, for your detailed answer to my question.

Sorry that I'm not as soundfile literate like yourself. I am sure you can work wonders mixing with a mouse.

As for me, I spend my time having fun mixing in analog world tweaking my SSL, my Otari MTR90 MKlll, X-850, Studer 1/2" & 1/4" 2-tracks; Lexicon 480XL's, my AMS Verbs and Delays, Drooling over the sound of my Stereo EMT plate; TC Electronic 2290's and PCM 42 DDl's; Eventide 3000's; pair of original 1176 'Blackfaced' compressors, LA-2a's and LA-3a's; DBX 160x's....bla, bla, bla...the list goes on and on.

I'd like to thank those that have responded to my question with respect.

Now, I'd like to just get back finish mixing ALTERBRIDGE'S latest live project.
Thankyou.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:24 PM

menotyou...how many multiple times have the studios you've worked in won the prestigious TEC studio of the year awards from mix magazine while a staff engineer there?...my guess is none. How about record of the year and best engineered record of the year grammies while you worked there?

Save yourself the embarrasment...

The title "Engineer" pertains to the knowledge you have, not the gear at your disposal (believe me, Rail has no shortage of gear at his disposal either)...and in most other occupations is only used legally after passing accredited licensing examinations testing one's proficiency with that knowledge...

The title cannot be donned like a fancy pair of boots and expect to be respected...in order for it to be aknowledged and respected, it must be earned through the acquisition, demonstration, and practice of specialized knowledge, not gear.