Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 PM

Default Anyone Else Hearing a Fuzzy Phasing Thing in EXP with High Gain Patches?

Browntown is a good example. I'm hearing some weird fuzzy phasing when I crank up the gain. I had never heard that before installing the expansion pack.

Anyone else hearing it?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Anyone Else Hearing a Fuzzy Phasing Thing in EXP with High Gain Patches?

Thats how its always worked for me, crank the gain get more "hair"

perhaps try adjusting the speaker breakup.

Chris wrote a great article about it

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=297417

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Anyone Else Hearing a Fuzzy Phasing Thing in EXP with High Gain Patches?

No, this really crappy sounding. Not a good thing at all. I'll see about recording a clip of it.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnscott View Post
No, this really crappy sounding. Not a good thing at all. I'll see about recording a clip of it.
yeah that would be great

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 PM

Here you go. Pretty sinister stuff. My 11R went from having balls of steel to just balling up! Tried all the obvious stuff. Turned it off and back on. Reset to factory settings. Unplugged USB. Unplugged AES. Went all analog. Changed guitars. Changed cords. Nothing seems to make a difference.

This is the stock Browntown patch:

http://soundcloud.com/stvnscott/fuzzyphasing-11r-guitar
Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 PM

I'll put in my $.02...

Hmm. What cab are you using? Have you checked the meters in the 11 rack to see if you're clipping? Just by looking at the wave form on soundcloud it looks as if you're clipping the output pretty hard. Sounds like it too.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 AM

Hi,

Did you check the samplerate ?
When connected to a pc/mac it could be that it has been reset to 44.1kHz
96 kHz sounds better for high gain sounds

Leon
Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teletotheworld View Post
I'll put in my $.02...

Hmm. What cab are you using? Have you checked the meters in the 11 rack to see if you're clipping? Just by looking at the wave form on soundcloud it looks as if you're clipping the output pretty hard. Sounds like it too.
The patch is the stock Browntown patch. I think it is the Green 25W cabinet.

The levels are all good throughout. The meters are hitting about 50% across the board except for the guitar input, which is less (PAF pickups). I don't think you can trust Soundcloud waveforms.

Here's another clip. I took the Browntown patch and changed the amp to the 67 Plexi Variac and the cab to the 20W 4x12. I turned speaker breakup off. This one is actually worse. I wish you guys could be in the room with me to hear this. It is very balled up and has a crazy phase thing going on that I've never heard before. I don't think this is in the cabinets or speaker breakup. I've turned off the cab sims and used Red Wirez IRs in Sonar and get the same thing.

Check this out:

http://soundcloud.com/stvnscott/more...ess-11r-guitar

Again, this never happened before installing the expansion pack.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM

Hi,
I listened at the same preset, and did some other tests, and you are right about the phasing ( no cabsim, poweramp into 2x12 ). It occurs mainly with highgain plexi sounds.
Turning the speakerbreakup down reduces the effect, but does not eliminate it.

My first guess would be that the speakerbreakup is not 100% out of the circuit. Chris told us about the combfilter effect of that breakup algorith. Could be just that.

But I really can't tell for sure if it's different from the "old" plexi, and I can't tell if its "the real thing" or an artefact either.

Anyone ?

Leon
Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 AM

OP- Are you sure this is a new issue for you? You have a clip dated from a few weeks ago entitled "Eleven Rack Buzz", that seems to exhibit some noise issues.