Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Digi we need an update for quad core rtas prob

I'd keep the mix system if it does all you need it to do. I'd consider a second system down the road when you think your needs warrent it. Make music, forget the hype.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:58 PM

Every computer is "obsolete" in a year. The Hd system is such a great upgrade from Mix. As an Hd upgrader from the beginning, it's hard to believe that people still use Mix systems. The PowerPCs will be supported for a number of years, and you aren't going to want the first Intel tower anyway. Make the jump.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Every computer is "obsolete" in a year. The Hd system is such a great upgrade from Mix. As an Hd upgrader from the beginning, it's hard to believe that people still use Mix systems. The PowerPCs will be supported for a number of years, and you aren't going to want the first Intel tower anyway. Make the jump.
Exactly. That's why I upgraded from a Mix + to HD Accel 2 PCIe on my new Quad G5. Make the jump.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:29 AM

I have both systems. I stand by what I said. Also, read between the lines of what the other posts are saying - what is in today is out tomorrow. I would ONLY consider Intel Macs at this point. If you waited this long, you should be a little anxious as to what Digi will replace the HD system with. You're money; good luck!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:48 AM

It is difficult to agree with opinions which at first sight seem opposite, nevertheless to a certain extent I do. I would stay with my Mix system because yes it does what I need of it, it is incredibly stable, and I can only with difficulty justify the expense of upgrading. But, Digi announced a major increase in the trade-in prices after May, which means that after that date my Mix system will be that much less worth on the market. So waiting for the next best thing Digi is going to come out with (and I realize this may be sooner than we think) is no solution, as the trade-in value for that will certainly not be higher. Together with the fact that I'm somewhat worried about the long time commitment of Digi to service my system should anything go kaput makes the balance tilt towards upgrading.

I really appreciate all your opinions , keep'm coming, thanks a lot!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:35 AM

This upgrade price increase is obviously Digi's marketing department trying to drive sales when the platform is changing and people are unsure what/when to buy and what will be supported etc.
If I had to do this again (I did update, three weeks ago) I would wait until the day before the price increase and see if they have fixed the problems with rtas before I made my decision. Then I would choose which platform to run it on (mac/intel or intel). Mac/intel may have the same 'beta' issues as 7.1 PCIe does now, however. Normally when you purchase a system that costs tens of thousands of dollars you expect it to work.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:42 PM

Quite honestly, a stable system is worth something regardless of how old it is. I have done enough Ebay shopping to know that you could probably get replacements for any of your Mix system for probably the next 10 years. Go check the prices, and compare THAT to what you paid for your Mix system. You'll also get a perspective of what your HD system will be worth a few years from now.
The common hype is that the newest creates the best music. I disagree with that. The skillset creates the best music. These are merely tools. If yours is doing a great job, then wait until you need to jump. Today I would not buy a non-Intel Mac. I feel it is a dodo of the first order. But that's me.
Oh, since I have both systems, remember, if you TRADE one for the other, don't forget the huge learning curve you'll go through to run all of the newest software on OSX. And forget about transfering all your sessions in case you have many. It can be done, but the amount of time you'll have in a day is limited. (I'm not talking just Pro Tools here...) That was why I kept the mix system in the first place. However, I like the fact that I now have owned it long enough to actually LEARN all the functions. I kind of like software that is no longer changing - lets me focus on my craft. Good luck.