Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2023, 06:00 AM

Default From Logic to Pro Tools_Workflow_Bouncing

I'm unsure if this is the best way to start a new thread, but I haven't found anything here that can help answer some questions when switching from one DAW to Pro Tools, in my case, from Logic.

Here are two workflow functions I am looking to find the equivalent of in Pro Tools Studio 2023.9:

1. In Logic, I can cycle an entire track from any starting to endpoints I wish to.
I usually kept my cycle region on from measure 1 to the last measure for ease of bouncing without having to select the range each time I needed to bounce. So far, all I can find in Pro Tools is the ability to choose and loop the range. Still, you can't keep the range selected when editing (of course, I would frequently turn the cycle region off or change it in Logic, but as a baseline, I could always keep it on as needed).

2. File naming when bouncing. Why does Pro Tools always show the name of the previous bounced file when bouncing, forcing me to type in the name of the current session? This is a significant workflow pain point every time I want to bounce. Is there a preference pane where I can change this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2023, 06:07 AM

Default Re: From Logic to Pro Tools_Workflow_Bouncing

1. Unlink Timeline and edit selection. Also. Look up dynamic transport.

2. Because you’re bouncing a new file and it’s going to remember the last file name you chose. Pro Tools has no way of knowing what you’re going to want to name your bounced file. Just type in the file name you want.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:25 AM

Default Re: From Logic to Pro Tools_Workflow_Bouncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord'n View Post
I'm unsure if this is the best way to start a new thread, but I haven't found anything here that can help answer some questions when switching from one DAW to Pro Tools, in my case, from Logic.

Here are two workflow functions I am looking to find the equivalent of in Pro Tools Studio 2023.9:

1. In Logic, I can cycle an entire track from any starting to endpoints I wish to.
I usually kept my cycle region on from measure 1 to the last measure for ease of bouncing without having to select the range each time I needed to bounce. So far, all I can find in Pro Tools is the ability to choose and loop the range. Still, you can't keep the range selected when editing (of course, I would frequently turn the cycle region off or change it in Logic, but as a baseline, I could always keep it on as needed).

2. File naming when bouncing. Why does Pro Tools always show the name of the previous bounced file when bouncing, forcing me to type in the name of the current session? This is a significant workflow pain point every time I want to bounce. Is there a preference pane where I can change this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hi,

You might find this generally useful if, like me, you have moved from Logic to Pro Tools.

https://www.production-expert.com/pr...hen-i-switched

To your questions:

1. Do you have 'Link Timeline and Edit Selection' turned on or off.
You can find it in the Options Menu, but you can also access it as shown in the attached jpg, or via "Shift /"

2. Do you mean 'Bounce to Disk' under the File Menu, or Track Bounce under the Track Menu?

For the former, that doesn't happen here.
When I open a session called 'Session 1' and bounce it out and then Open 'Session 2' and bounce it out Pro Tools will default to 'Session 2' as the 'Name Prefix'.
If you mean successive bounces in a single session then yes you need to specify the name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg link.jpg (24.3 KB, 0 views)

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting