Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2001, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Tutorial for getting started?

Thank you, M.Brane.I have now done the following:

1) Installed PTF.

2) Set virtual memory, ram disk, cache, energy saver, and appearance as specified in Chapter 2 of PTF Quick Start Guide.

3) Made an extension set (OS 9.0.4 base plus Digidesign) for PTF.

4) Installed OMS.

5) Restarted computer. (I noted that my PTF extension set now includes OMS.)

6) Clicked on PTF icon.

7) Received a message saying OMS not configured, with choices of CANCEL or SETUP. I clicked CANCEL.

8) PTF was launched.

So far, so good. I have an AIFF file that I would like to bring into PTF in order to remove some sections. What would you suggest I do next? Which documentation might be useful?

Thanks for your help,
John Link
Old 07-11-2001, 09:01 AM

Well, you'll need to start a new session, and then create a track. So the section you need to look at is in the Pro Tools Reference Guide under the heading "Pro Tools Sessions". Then under "Creating Sessions", then under "Creating a New Session". You can also look under the "Recording" heading, inder "Importing/Exporting Audio and MIDI" page number is 131....hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:05 PM

Once you get the AIFF file imported into your session, then it gets tricky: learnig how touse the different editing tools, etc. This is where I'm at as well. Haven't done much except trimming unwanted stuff . The manual isn't real clear on this stuff (to me anyway) so just save at each step and if you screw something up, hit "revert to saved" or you can make a copy of your session and experiment with that. That would be the advantage over working with tape. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2001, 07:29 AM

Hi guys

I have been reading your posts and thought I should register and join in the fun.

I, too, have just started using Pro Tools Free (about 3 weeks).
The reason for this was because my wife is putting on a musical at the local junior school. She has a CD with the soundtrack but wanted vocals adding so the kids could pick up on the songs quickly.
I was amazed at how easy this was to do. Yes, PTF looks daunting at first but play, play, play . . . it soon becomes clear.
I had only to purchase a microphone, plug it in, sort out input levels, and record away (my daughter is the 'voice' in the family, and incidentally now a 'star' to the junior school kids who have heard her on CD).
I now want to rig one of my guitars up so I can record that as well (without having to go through the microphone and without having to buy an audio card . . . any ideas?)
I also have an extremely modest MIDI kit which I have been setting up with PT and initial trials have been promising)

My set up is a beige Apple G3 300MHz with 128MB ram.
Midi kit consists of a couple of Boss sound modules and a Yamaha synth which I use as a controller.

This type of forum is great. Reading posts from people using the same software, coming up against the same problems . . . sharing of information is how it should be.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:42 PM

Lots of options for direct guitar these days. Maybe check some of the guitar sites to see whats available. Having several different amps / cabinets to play through, I prefer to crank 'em up & mic 'em. My neighbors only seem to get pissed at the drums. I have been transferring the drums off of some high speed 4 track cassette stuff I've done and re-recording the guitars/vocals. Next trick is to re-arrange some of the drum tracks via PT editing. Should be interesting.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:35 PM

I'm making lots of progress, but I think the documenation, at least what came on the PTF disk, stinks. It seems to be written for someone who is already familiar with the progam and just needs a reminder about how to do something without a full explanation. I hope that the book mentioned earlier in this thread will start from scratch and assume an intelligent user who is ignorant of PT FREE.

Is there any additional documentation available after paying for Pro Tools, or do I already have it all?

Anyway, I guess I shouldn't complain too much because PTF is a FABULOUS program and it was FREE! I've learned how to import an AIFF file and do all sorts of things with it. I've taken a track off a CD and have made all sorts of adjustments to the volume so that when the cut is used for a dance performance the sound guy doesn't have to constantly play with the fader. So now I'm ready to export the audio.

How do I do that? Page 127 of the PT Ref Guide says to "select the left and right audio regions in the Audio Regions List or Edit window". Where do I find the Audio Regions List? I can't find it on my screen and I can't find any other reference to it in the Guide.

Thanks in advance for your help,
John Link
Old 07-15-2001, 09:58 PM

And where is the Audio Regions List pop-up menu? Maybe there is no such thing in PTF? Maybe it isn't possible to export audio from PTF?

This program doesn't have to be so difficult. Where is the documentation that EXPLAINS how to use it without referring to things that are not identified?

GRRRRR!!!!!

John Link
Old 07-16-2001, 12:14 AM

John
Look in the manual under 'bounce to disk'. This is how you export audio.

Banjoman
Old 07-16-2001, 07:45 AM

Thanks, Banjoman.

After the first minute of bouncing to disk I received a message saying that I was losing CPU power and should remove some plug-ins. What exactly must I do?

Before installing PTF I started my computer with the base extension set. I wonder whether there might be some extension that were added to that set that shouldn't be there, and that I should remove them in response to the message about CPU power.

Rather than trying to figure out which extensions should be removed, I restarted my computer with the base set again and then launched PTF. There was a message saying that a Digidesign INIT was required, so I moved it into the extensions folder from the disabled extensions folder and restarted the computer. When I then launched PTF I didn't see the previous error message about Digidesign INIT but PTF was obviously not working. (Actually the computer wouldn't restart from the menu so I had to hold the button.)

Can anbody help me with this?

John Link
Old 07-16-2001, 08:14 AM

John

What computer model are you using and how much ram do you have? How much of it is allocated to PTF?
It sounds to me as though you are running short of memory.
I have allocated 56MB memory to Pro Tools and it runs fine on my G3 300MHz with 128 MB
I take it that you are not trying to run other programs at the same time, and that you have virtual memory turned off.

Banjoman