Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2023, 12:19 PM

Default UVI Falcon 3.0 Is Released

UVI has released Falcon 3.0 with several new fx modules, sequencers, and other features, along with some 1600 new patches. If you already own Falcon the upgrade is FREE!!! Best price out there!

Old 10-20-2023, 12:21 PM

Default Re: UVI Falcon 3.0 Is Released

Awesomeness ! Thanks for the head's-up!

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 10-20-2023, 12:45 PM

And it's working fine so far on my less-than-recommended system. UVI specs a minimum of OSX 10.14.x and I'm on OSX 10.13.6. Then again the previous version at 2.8.2 which also had a minimum of OSX 10.14.x worked okay.

What I'm waiting for is someone to get MIDI out working in PT to softsynths in PT.

QAPLA!
Old 10-21-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

What I'm waiting for is someone to get MIDI out working in PT to softsynths in PT.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? I've never had an issue with this, but maybe I'm not doing what you're doing?

For example, I often use percussion from my East-West library. I can set up several MIDI tracks in PT, one for each perc part. Each perc instrument is set up on a separate MIDI channel in the E-W player. It all works fine.

What is it you're trying to do?

Old 10-21-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? I've never had an issue with this, but maybe I'm not doing what you're doing?

For example, I often use percussion from my East-West library. I can set up several MIDI tracks in PT, one for each perc part. Each perc instrument is set up on a separate MIDI channel in the E-W player. It all works fine.

What is it you're trying to do?
You completely missed what I'm talking about and that is using the MIDI out from Falcon 3 to other softsynths. The YouTube vids show it going to hardware synths but nothing on internal softsynths. I know all about feeding multiple MIDI tracks to softsynths but I'm talking about a softsynth that has a MIDI out feeding other softsynths.

QAPLA!
Old 10-22-2023, 11:43 PM

Hi Jack,
I don't think it's a Avid/Pro Tools issue. I use Toontrack's EZkeys 2, EZbass, EZdrummer 3 and Superior Drummer 3; all with MIDI Out and can feed it to other VI's in PT.

BR,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 10-23-2023, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammelt View Post
Hi Jack,
I don't think it's a Avid/Pro Tools issue. I use Toontrack's EZkeys 2, EZbass, EZdrummer 3 and Superior Drummer 3; all with MIDI Out and can feed it to other VI's in PT.

BR,
John
Thanks but don't you have to use a MIDI track to accept the MIDI out from say Falcon? And then feed THAT to an instrument track? I don't see a way to do that with just an instrument track.

QAPLA!
Old 10-23-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks but don't you have to use a MIDI track to accept the MIDI out from say Falcon? And then feed THAT to an instrument track? I don't see a way to do that with just an instrument track.
No. In the edit window, make sure you have the Instrument info visible. Where it says "All", you can click on that and select whatever MIDI input to that instrument you wish coming from another VI player source. Be sure to record arm the track or it won't play. That's it.

I use this feature all the time with players in the Reason rack. Open Reason on one instrument track, open a VI on another one, select the Reason player on the Instrument input (NOT THE MIDI INPUT) for the VI track, arm record button, and we're off and running. Should be able to do the same with Falcon, as long as Falcon allows MIDI output inside Pro Tools.

What I'm not clear on is whether or not Falcon allows MIDI output of, say, one of its sequencers or arpeggiators from inside a DAW track. I tried doing that last night, but while I can see Falcon available as an input for another VI's track, I can't get anything to play. And I can't see where I can tell Falcon to send MIDI out from a sequencer or arp'r. It works just fine, for example, when I send arp data out from, say, DS Thorn VI. Should work the same with Falcon. There must be some setting in Falcon I'm not seeing.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
No. In the edit window, make sure you have the Instrument info visible. Where it says "All", you can click on that and select whatever MIDI input to that instrument you wish coming from another VI player source. Be sure to record arm the track or it won't play. That's it.

I use this feature all the time with players in the Reason rack. Open Reason on one instrument track, open a VI on another one, select the Reason player on the Instrument input (NOT THE MIDI INPUT) for the VI track, arm record button, and we're off and running. Should be able to do the same with Falcon, as long as Falcon allows MIDI output inside Pro Tools.

What I'm not clear on is whether or not Falcon allows MIDI output of, say, one of its sequencers or arpeggiators from inside a DAW track. I tried doing that last night, but while I can see Falcon available as an input for another VI's track, I can't get anything to play. And I can't see where I can tell Falcon to send MIDI out from a sequencer or arp'r. It works just fine, for example, when I send arp data out from, say, DS Thorn VI. Should work the same with Falcon. There must be some setting in Falcon I'm not seeing.
Thanks for the explanation as I've never noticed that nor used it.

As to your last paragraph did you insert the MIDI Out from the right hand panel where you click on the second tab from the right that has the tied notes putting that after a processor in the event tab? Venus Theory has a YouTube video where he talks about what's new in Falcon 3 and specifically he talks about the MIDI out feature using an external hardware synth. I think it's in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EugGaU7JOcU

QAPLA!
Old 10-23-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation as I've never noticed that nor used it.

As to your last paragraph did you insert the MIDI Out from the right hand panel where you click on the second tab from the right that has the tied notes putting that after a processor in the event tab? Venus Theory has a YouTube video where he talks about what's new in Falcon 3 and specifically he talks about the MIDI out feature using an external hardware synth. I think it's in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EugGaU7JOcU
Thanks, Jack. I just downloaded Falcon 3 last night, so just getting started with all the new goodies. I will definitely look at Venus's vid. He has some good videos out there.

As for the MIDI Instrument track feature, its easy to overlook. I discovered a few years back when I wanted to get Xfer Records Cthulu player working. The video showed how to set that up in PT and that's when I discovered that place for MIDI input. That opened up a whole new realm of possibilities!

If you have Reason, try using that feature with some of the players. You can do some pretty cool stuff. I often use the Beat Map player to create funky rhythms using some other Drum VI.

Let me know if this works for you, by the way!