How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 AM

Smile Moving Up To Pro Tool 10

Hi All...

I'm currently running Pro Tools 7.4 HD2 on XP... I use apogee x16 and Rosetta for my 24 inputs...

The PC is getting a bit old so I want to get a new one and run windows 7 with Pro Tools 10 HD-X... no big deal I thought... buy the PC and load ProTools 10 with HD-X installed... but I want to continue to use my apogee converters plugging into the HD-X like they do now into the HD card(s)...

My dealer is saying I can't do this - I need to buy the Avid converter which has nothing like 24 tracks of input I need...

I don't want to upgrade the 7.4 to 10 on the same box because it's busy here and I don't want the downtime... I want to be able to run one or the other but obviously not at the same time... just want to fireup which ever PC I want with the Apogees connected to that PC at the time...

So I need to know if Avid really demand that I buy their converter (which I will never use) or if this is a just a misunderstanding on the part of my dealer...

My dealer is making it sound like this is not a very common request but I know plenty of studios using HD 1,2 or 3 who will probably want to do this eventually so I'm checking around...

Anyway - thanks for listening and any advice will be gratefully devoured...

Thanks
-Stuart
Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 AM
zolko

Default Re: Moving Up To Pro Tool 10

I am not an expert in PTHD but why don't you stick to HD2 hardware if it works for you?
Upgrade of 7.4 to 10 and native power 3-4 times isn't good enough?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 AM

Not sure if Native is powerful enough - maybe it is... are you saying that Native is 3 - 4 times more CPU power than HD2... I thought native just used the PC's local CPU(s) and HD had many more than that hence the power I've been enjoying over the last few years with HD since moving from LE...

What would be great for me is to get more HD cards for the new PC and use them with pro tools 10... but I'm told that's not possible...
Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 AM
zolko

What I meant was you upgrade your CPU with probably 3-4 times more powerful one to hande native RTAS/AAX power.
I googled one blog about the upgrade HD2 to HDX finding http://www.osd-uk.com/2011/11/my-upg...-or-hd-native/ I believe you will find plenty of opinions on DUC itself.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 AM

Thank you - I will research this - it looks to be very helpful...
Old 01-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Brian,

Your dealer could be referring to a couple of different things. One is that Avid officially only sells HDX (and now HD Native also) bundled with an Avid interface.

However, some people have mentioned that their dealers have been able to work out something else and sell the HDX cards on their own. It's not the official policy but they are probably just splitting up packages.

The other situation is that even if you got HDX, I don't know if the Rosetta and 16x will work with it. This is mainly because they were discontinued and I don't know if Apogee has made updates to firmware, etc. for them to be compatible in HDX the way they are seen in TDM systems. I don't know for sure, though.

But that could be an issue as well.

So perhaps check with a different dealer.

As a last resort, if you are forced to buy the bundle with an interface, you could sell the interface separately here on the DUC or on Ebay. But you may lose a little money that way.