Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Default Audio stopped and FW underflow

Been working on this problem for two days and it's really strange. Our edit system at work is and iMac with OS X Tiger, PT 7.3.? cs? (I'm home and don't have my notes.) System has been working for ages no problems.

I was using it Wednesday afternoon and all fine. That night someone came in to edit and suddenly -6085 FW underflow errors and PT stops and I get the message in morning to fix it. So I get same error and try the suggested change buffer size, no help. Maybe bad files from xfer so I try know good sesson same problem. Check hard drive all good. Delete all settings, trash, reboot still bad. Swapped out the cables, even simplify config no change. Also no audio in any other app either.

Okay after swapping everything out and various config's and no help think maybe the MBox 2 Pro is bad, so get a MBox 2, shut down, cable up and bring up the system. This time no error message, but no audio. PT is trucking along like all is well, but no audio. I pull out another MBox 2 we have figure maybe its bad and same thing. Dig up a relic MBox 1 and no change. Now here's where it gets weird we just did a remote and I bought a MBox micro for editing on the road. I hook up the Micro and everything works.

Today think maybe I missed something set everything back up for the MBox Pro and try again error and is problem back. Retry the MBox 2's same problems. Hook up the MBox Micro and everything works.

So HELP this one has me stumped. Any suggestions on other things to check, anyone seen something like this and have a fix?

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Audio stopped and FW underflow

bump

No one have a similar problem. Digi never heard of something like this???
Old 07-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Did I stump the band no ideas from DigiTechSupport or someone.

Update: I wiped the hard drive reinstall with Leopard and PT 8cs3 and config'd. Then tested with the demo app that comes with PT all well. Then try first session and same error and problem again with a fresh OS and PT install.

baffled
Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM

I would back up everything on that session drive NOW! I may be wrong, but it may be the drive is about to bite the big one. Transfer a session to another audio drive and try it again.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-03-2009, 12:19 AM

That error normally occurs when combining FW800 and FW400 on the same bus.

For example, connecting a FW800 drive to a mac and then connecting the mbox to a FW400 port on the drive.

If you have a FW800 only iMac then you need to use a conversion cable down to FW400 to the drive and then FW400 to the Mbox Pro, the converter drops the bus speed down and stops the underflow errors.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:50 AM

albee1952 This is multiple drives and I have check each drive. Anything is possible, but I don't think it the drive at this point.

Dougfather I'm afraid you're probably right i am going to do some reconfig to all FW400 setup and see if that resolves. It is an older iMac with both FW400 and FW800 ports. We have had the MBox Pro on the FW400 and drives on FW800 for a over a year and all was fine. We switch to another brand of storage and now this problems popup. Also our HD system is basically the same type of config and it has no problems.

Thank for the input, back to testing.