Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2008, 12:48 PM

Default Can't get installed instrument plug ins to show up in PT TDM 7.4

I've been looking for a solution for days; I figured I must be doing something wrong. I'm using Pro Tools TDM 7.4 and I won't mention much about my hardware setup as I don't think that's an issue in this case. (C|24, 192 I/O, etc...)

Waves plugins were installed on the system before I got to it, and they show up fine in the AudioSuite menu along with the digirack plugins. My goal is to get virtual instrument plugins working with my midi keyboard. I've installed the Korg Legacy Collection as well as KOMPLETE 2 from Native Instruments, making sure I was installing RTAS and TDM whenever possible. I can control various programs with midi if I open them as standalone programs, but then I can only play them through the default speakers inside the mac.

I started out knowing nothing about macs, and not too much about Pro Tools, have started to get the hang of them, but still feel like there may be a step I'm missing. Also, the plugins are fairly old, so that may be an issue as well, but I tried updating them to the best of my abilities to no avail.

Various plugins seem to be installed in the "Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools>Plug-ins alias" folder, but they don't show up in insert lists in the Audio Suite, or on any type of track.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Can't get installed instrument plug ins to show up in PT TDM 7.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubsvideo View Post
I've been looking for a solution for days; I figured I must be doing something wrong. I'm using Pro Tools TDM 7.4 and I won't mention much about my hardware setup as I don't think that's an issue in this case. (C|24, 192 I/O, etc...)

Waves plugins were installed on the system before I got to it, and they show up fine in the AudioSuite menu along with the digirack plugins. My goal is to get virtual instrument plugins working with my midi keyboard. I've installed the Korg Legacy Collection as well as KOMPLETE 2 from Native Instruments, making sure I was installing RTAS and TDM whenever possible. I can control various programs with midi if I open them as standalone programs, but then I can only play them through the default speakers inside the mac.

I started out knowing nothing about macs, and not too much about Pro Tools, have started to get the hang of them, but still feel like there may be a step I'm missing. Also, the plugins are fairly old, so that may be an issue as well, but I tried updating them to the best of my abilities to no avail.

Various plugins seem to be installed in the "Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools>Plug-ins alias" folder, but they don't show up in insert lists in the Audio Suite, or on any type of track.
Hi,

Nearly all VI's are RTAS also they won't be in the audiosuite list they will only be available as rtas under multi-channel-RTAS. under instrument.

Its important that you have the latest versions!
are they definitely the RTAS compatible version you are installing?
Do you have the ilok auths for them or have you authorized your hard drive?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the quick response! And thanks for letting me know they won't be in the AudioSuite, I wasn't aware of that. Unfortunately, they weren't in multi-channel RTAS either.

When installing the Native Instruments pack, it prompted me asking what I wanted to install, and I made sure the RTAS and TDM options were both checked. There are 11 VI plug-ins including B4, Pro-53, etc...

It may be possible that our iLock authorization was for Pro Tools 6.5 and we're waiting for the latest authorization. Would this affect whether or not the plug-ins are displayed in Pro Tools?

I made sure that at least one plug-in was up to date, Pro-53, but it feels like an unnecessary hassle to grind my way through the validation process for every update, and get a new serial number for each plug-in, since I only started with one serial for the whole package.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:07 PM

About 5 minutes after my last post I checked again and Pro-53 is there under multi-channel RTAS. I know it wasn't before I updated and got a new serial, so getting the latest version must have been what did it. I suppose I'll try going through and validating every plug-in individually.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response! And thanks for letting me know they won't be in the AudioSuite, I wasn't aware of that. Unfortunately, they weren't in multi-channel RTAS either.

When installing the Native Instruments pack, it prompted me asking what I wanted to install, and I made sure the RTAS and TDM options were both checked. There are 11 VI plug-ins including B4, Pro-53, etc...

It may be possible that our iLock authorization was for Pro Tools 6.5 and we're waiting for the latest authorization. Would this affect whether or not the plug-ins are displayed in Pro Tools?

I made sure that at least one plug-in was up to date, Pro-53, but it feels like an unnecessary hassle to grind my way through the validation process for every update, and get a new serial number for each plug-in, since I only started with one serial for the whole package.
Hi,

I'm not quite sure what you are saying about your auths!!

Do you have ilok auth for the NI pack or disk authorization?
Its imperative that the ilok auth matches the version you have installed! otherwise they won't show at all. Also versions for PT 6.5 won't be compatible with 7.4! nearly all plugs for PT 6.x were updated for PT 7.x and the auths to run these plugs were also updated.

It seems the problem is likely to be the wrong auth for the versions you have installed. you must have the latest versions installed.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:20 AM

I'm not too sure about the authorizations either, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure it's disk authorization for the KOMPLETE 2 package, I have a serial number that came with the disk and am required to download the NI Service Center to Authorize it. That requires me to input my serial, get a request for authorization file (which I have to bring to a PC via a USB device because the website doesn't work right in Safari), and bring the response file back to the mac.

The KORG Legacy Collection plugins only required simple disk authorization, but they don't show up in Pro Tools either.

Pro-53 only started working when I downloaded an update from NI's website, re-downloaded NI Service Center, requested an updated serial number for just that plug-in, and went through the process of activation. I was hoping for some sort of generic update to the whole package, but it may just be that I need to update each plug-in individually.

My main problem when posting this thread was that I couldn't get any plug-ins to show up in Pro Tools, and didn't want to keep installing things, hoping that one of them would work. Hopefully my problem only extends as far as this software package needing to be updated, but as most of the software we have are older versions, I'm guessing most of them will require some form of update.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I'm not too sure about the authorizations either, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure it's disk authorization for the KOMPLETE 2 package, I have a serial number that came with the disk and am required to download the NI Service Center to Authorize it. That requires me to input my serial, get a request for authorization file (which I have to bring to a PC via a USB device because the website doesn't work right in Safari), and bring the response file back to the mac.

The KORG Legacy Collection plugins only required simple disk authorization, but they don't show up in Pro Tools either.

Pro-53 only started working when I downloaded an update from NI's website, re-downloaded NI Service Center, requested an updated serial number for just that plug-in, and went through the process of activation. I was hoping for some sort of generic update to the whole package, but it may just be that I need to update each plug-in individually.

My main problem when posting this thread was that I couldn't get any plug-ins to show up in Pro Tools, and didn't want to keep installing things, hoping that one of them would work. Hopefully my problem only extends as far as this software package needing to be updated, but as most of the software we have are older versions, I'm guessing most of them will require some form of update.
You might try calling NI tech support... they have been very helpful resolving issues. SB
Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Avid

Which OS version are you running and are you definitely just on 7.4 or possibly 7.4.2 or some other version (including cs updates)?

Quote:
I was hoping for some sort of generic update to the whole package, but it may just be that I need to update each plug-in individually.
Sorry, but that's not the case with NI - you need to download and install each plug-in update separately and, yes, it can be confusing. I don't know if they've fixed all the problems with Service Center yet, but I would almost recommend going to their site, logging into your account and downloading the updates from there instead.

Also note that NI is disk based auths only - they do not use iLok (unfortunately).

Making sure you're on the latest versions of all plug-ins should take care of the problem of them not showing up.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Running Mac OSX 10.4.10, and Pro Tools 7.4

When I updated Pro-53, I downloaded the update installer from their site, and it required me to install the Service Center again. I'm not sure if it was necessary, but I still have trouble locating files and folders on a mac, so I just followed whatever directions they gave me.

Thanks for the information. My main goal was to find out if it was a simple case of needing the latest versions of the plugins I had, if there was a problem with my system, or if I was just doing something wrong.

It would probably be wise to update Pro Tools as well, yes? I believe we're still waiting for our license card or something similar that will allow us to update, but I'll tackle that when it arrives.