Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2002, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Digi question: Is SSC for Mac OS X coming?

Quote:
Why do you think Digi haven't developed the original idea?
And why do you think they are so disinterested in the concept of their own softsampler for the future?
I know that there are in the business of selling their hardware but wouldn't a decent softsampler assist that end for the post and music market?
I don't have any idea why they haven't developed it. This to me is a great oversight on their part. As I said it hasn't changed a bit in 10 years...well very little change at least. Again, as I said a good streaming software based sampler is ideal for post production and it's obvious or seems obvious that they aren't interested or we would have seen something already. You're asking me for an answer that I don't have. I'm just basing my observations on the history of the application and that speaks for itself.

time will tell...I'm not holding or baiting my breath anymore ;-)

Kevan
Old 10-10-2002, 07:48 AM

My breath has ceased to bate too!

Any good news now will be a pleasant surprise!

Thanks for the comments Jim and Kevan.
Kevan, I didn't expect you to come up with definitive answers just wondered what your take on it was, which you've given me. Thanks,

Renie
Old 10-15-2002, 10:31 AM

Well, after reading all the posts and thinking about things (like Kevin's post), I decided to check out Kontact. I haven't done too much with it yet, but I can tell you it seems great. Far beyond what is going on with Digi and SSC/SC. This seems like the handwriting on the wall. To keep up, they're going to have to do some serious work, and I'm not sure it sounds like they are willing to do that. They'd rather invest their time in Protools, their flagship product, which is understandable. Kontact sounds great, has built in effects which sound great, plus OSX and streaming sample support is going to be in by the end of the year. I still hope there is some support for the hardware card by Digi, but I guess if there isn't, I'll be very happy in Kontact.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:12 PM

There are lots of options for running SSC if it doesn't make it over. One is to dedicate a separate machine to it. We're probably going to have to keep a separate machine for running OS 9 programs anyway, so why not. Not as convenient as having it inside Pro Tools, but at least it'll still be there.

Another option will almost certainly be to play SC libraries in other soft samplers. Nobody knows whether they'll run inside Pro Tools, of course, but I'm sure there will be ways. Emagic's EXS24 does a pretty good job of importing most SC programs (when it doesn't quite work it's because of the EXS' limited controller implementation, and they're supposedly working on that). Better yet, you can use Chicken Systems Translator Pro to do the job.

Anyway, I think there are a lot more important programs to worry about than SSC. I hope it does make it over, but I won't lose sleep if it doesn't - even though I use it every day.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:02 AM

Hi
having only recently bought SSC I've been looking at recycle as a way of being able to chop up audio files to produce instruments and banks.

I was going to ask If any one new of a similar Sample editor more dedicated to SSC.

However I've had my Eyes opened! Perhaps it's not worth the time investment.

Bob

......... Echo...ing........ I died on Arrival...I'm going back to Jobs
Old 10-25-2002, 04:06 PM

Nick - Do you think running it on another machine is a practical option? Do you want to tie up a bunch of inputs to route sampler outputs into ProTools for mixing? IMO Intergration is the key, I need to be able to pull up a session and everything is as it was 10 days ago when you last tweaked the mix or last did some tracking (no notes required).

This topic really burns me because I just sold off and traded in a 7 card MixPlus system with 2 hardware SampleCells for an HD3 with SSC. Why? Because I did not want to get caught orphaned on the old platform as Digi moves forward. Here I am on their latest greatest and the first move they make (PT6) is doing exactly that. What a PITA!

If I only new which sampler would be the right one to go forward with. . . I would buy it and stop wasting my time. Time is money and setting up custom sample libraries take forever and clients don't pay for it. In fact you often get paid less because you get things done quicker for your customers. . .hmmm. . .there is a lesson in here somewhere.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:08 AM

For me it's a practical answer, just as having a Gigasampler machine or any other synth going into my digital mixer is practical. I agree that the integration is important; I'm just saying that I personally don't lose sleep over SSC, for the reasons I mentioned.

It would also surprise me if some hacks like VST Shell that allow you to use other samplers in PT don't appear.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:04 PM

Hsk, it occurs to me that an ADAT Bridge plugged into the "legacy" port on your HD interface could solve your problem without costing a fortune.

For me the reason integration is important isn't for when I'm writing - which I do in Logic or Performer anyway, and then I use Halion, EXS24, and SSCbefore bouncing everything to disk to import into PT for mixing. Instead I find the integration important for music editing or doing sound effects; it's very easy just to put something in SSC so you can play it from a MIDI keyboard.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:05 PM

Good suggestion. Yes, that would work out alright. I presume you can do an additional 16 tracks with an ADAT bridge into a 192 (or does it steal from the existing i/o?).

I happen to have a spare dual-light-pipe audio card (Sonarus) and spare PCs as well. Hmmm. . . another CRT, that will mean I need room for 3. I will mull it over. Thanks. . .
Old 10-31-2002, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Cohen:
wcody -

I didn't see your post addressed to me last week. Sorry about that. I'll see if I can get any further info.
Jeff, it's been a while. What's up?