Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-1998, 02:40 PM
Avid

Default Re: SampleCell Editor wishlist

As for many of the PC version requests, keep an eye out in the first quarter of the new year for an improved offering. (I think i can't say any more than that.) We do take your suggestions into account!

Paul Vercellotti
Digi Engineering

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 11-11-1998, 10:48 AM

More ideas:

-New Feature: "Random sample choice", which would allow each keygroup to choose from several samples, so that, for example, a repeated MIDI note would sound slightly different each time (in this mode, a sample CHANGE would be guaranteed, but the choice would be random, or pseudo-random).

-Some easier method to audition various drum samples within an instrument while a sequence is playing.

Thanks!
-dp-
Old 11-12-1998, 05:27 AM

Well digi, as you can see, people are hoping for sc-iii, and they sound ready to spring the cash. I know I am.

Definitely SC needs MORE TDM OUTPUTS! Unlimited pls.

I think the editor should have a sort of framed view, where you can see the bank below, and the sample above, with the keys in between. the editor should be integrated right into it. this would greatly speed things up..

sc should definatly have PT integration, where you can have a bank for a song, auto-loaded. my problems is i dont always run Protools, and a lot of the time only logic audio, i wish this could happen with la..

- brook elliot -
Old 11-12-1998, 07:57 PM

New SampleCell editor or New TDM plugin software for SampleCell

(1)24bit sound
I want 24bit sound on SampleCell 2 TDM. (For example, Apogee Bit-Splitting allows 16-bit recorders to be used to store 24-bit signals. ) In Protools24 TDM, New SampleCell editor split 24bit voice to two instruments and new TDM plugin software mix two instruments to one 24bit voice.

(2)Swapping option to expand SampleCell's RAM
Use Macintosh's RAM for SampleCell's virtual memory.
SampleCell's RAM are divided to two area. one area are fixed (no swapping) and used for loading head parts of sample files, Another area are used for swapping. Other parts of sample files are swapped from Macintosh's RAM.

(3)Direct reading CDROM(Emu, Kurzweil and AKAI format)
I use Interpriter and I can use only AKAI format CDROM.
I want to use Emu format CDROM and Kurzweil format CDROM.

(4)Batch recording option
For example, 24bit/44.1k/stereo/88key/4velocity/7sec/no loop acoustic piano's sample file is 637MB. This big file is saved in HD, and batch rendering sound file by midi data, and saved to Protools24's audio track.

sorry my poor english

[This message has been edited by yasu (edited 11-12-98).]
Old 11-16-1998, 12:22 AM

Some wishes for SC Editor update

SAMPLE PARAMETERS:
Display complete path for the sample. Perhaps a Show-button to reveal it in the Finder.

SAMPLE MAP:
(Bugfix) When adding Multiple Keygroups the file list should not scroll to the top again each time you add a sample.

SAMPLE MAP:
Copy/paste sample(zone) - also between instruments.

SAMPLE MAP:
Drag&Drop samples from Finder into the Sample Map for adding zones.

SAMPLE MAP:
Selecting multiple samples (shift click) for deleting or moving.

MIXER:
A button for muting a whole bank without destroying instruments separate mute settings.

GENERAL:
Support for dual stereo format (.L .R)

GENERAL:
Dropping multiple samples over the SC icon is nice for creating multi instruments, but most people don’t use an 88 note keyboard. It would be practical to have an option in the prefs for setting a “start note” for this, together with a choice for chromatic mapping.

GENERAL:
A simple Search-function in the add keygroup file dialog.
Old 11-17-1998, 05:09 AM

While keeping SC on a pci card seems ultimately more powerful/stable/preferable, perhaps there is a way to enable a Samplecell Offline mode where you can load a limited amount of samples/voices into cpu ram to work on yer powerbook...ala forthecoming Bitheadz Unity DS-1?

How bout some feedback from you guys on whether any of these fine, upstanding suggestions are anywhere near your intentions?

Bryan
Old 11-20-1998, 12:02 AM

Forget the sample cell iii card - why not just have a software version of sample cell that directly accesses a d24 or mix farm or mix core card. Samplers really are just RAM based triggered recorders. That's what these cards do: Pro Tools (well, DAE) just puts the audio into RAM continuously.

Then you can have a standalone d24 card with SuperSampleCell software and up to 16 real outputs in analog or digital. Or on a TDM equipped card (or the d24/mix in a TDM equipped system) output to any of the real outputs or any of the 32 TDM busses.

Now you have maximum power flexibility and total integration with Pro Tools (and Direct I/O apps) without having to invest any R&D in new hardware!

We all know there's a DSP chip on the d24 card (1/6th of a Mix card) - let's put it to really good use.

Am I close?

Matt Connolly
Old 11-20-1998, 12:28 AM

How do you mean, samplers are just -RAM- based triggered recorders. On the PC there is a package called gigasampler which works from HD!!! You can sample up to a gigabyte!!
Old 11-20-1998, 12:46 AM

Does this mean that there is gonna be a new samplecell. The current SCII is interesting, but who's gonna buy such an outdated and badly supported device?
Old 11-20-1998, 05:50 AM

This idea is interesting but don't forget, it is no magic bullet, there is a tradeoff -- Every sample triggered from HD will be reducing the track count available in PT because of drive seek limitations, and every input brought in through TDM will be increasing DSP load (summing, etc.). Still it sure is cheaper than ASIC R&D -- Geoff W