Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2024, 03:26 AM

Default Studio vs Ultimate for videos

hi to all community, I am new to avid and I would like to buy the studio version to learn the program and use for small video production.
So my question is: is it ok just the studio version or is it mandatory the ultimate version for sound design?
thx for all of your response.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:00 AM
Avid

Default Re: Studio vs Ultimate for videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControFase View Post
hi to all community, I am new to avid and I would like to buy the studio version to learn the program and use for small video production.
So my question is: is it ok just the studio version or is it mandatory the ultimate version for sound design?
Hi!

Video import is available on Pro Tools Studio so you should be good on this version.

Hope this helps!

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 01-16-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControFase View Post
Be sure to look at the differences between Studio and Ultimate when it comes to video. Studio is one video track per session with no video editing capability, while Ultimate can have multiple video tracks and has rudimentary video editing capabilities.

Version Comparison
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-16-2024, 11:53 AM

yeah I need only one video track only for the sound design so I think the studio is ok for my workflow.
thanks a lot
Old 01-16-2024, 12:32 PM

I suggest you get a subscription for a month or so to Studio and make sure it works for you.. if you purchase the wrong perpetual license version you cannot upgrade later on. The limited video capability in Studio means it does have limited use in the post/video field (and also missing field recorder workflow, and frame accurate sync without HD/HDX/Ultimate and Digilink hardware with Sync HD (at significant cost) and other feature differences also help reduce Studio use in professional video/post areas -- which may all be irrelevant to you).

Be careful on names, the product is Pro Tools, and specifically Pro Tools Studio or Pro Tools Ultimate, the company is Avid. And if anything if you say "Avid" with video production related stuff people are likely to assume you are talking about Avid Media Composer, the Avid video editing suite, which is de-facto called "Avid" by many folks in the video/film industry.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:42 PM

In addition, Reaper DAW can handle the video if you didn't know it. It is much cheaper but of course everything depends on the needs!