Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: PTLE 7 = 48 voices petition

Quote:

MODEST= About $10K or more....? you have to be kidding, you could put a downpayment on a house with that amount!
As far as I'm conserned, LE is OK for what you pay. However, the Digi-Design's totalitarian mentality only isolates these people from those of us who can't afford a $10K+ rig. When you are able to carry out the same tasks with other platforms, at a lower price, that let you CHOOSE plug-in type, interface etc. I love LE, but I don't like being limited to 32 voices, while not having plug-in delay compensation and more busses.

by the way, take a ride on LOGIC pro7 or even Cubase.....life's still good

[/QUOTE]

YOU take a ride! Go and use Cubase! Go! Bye
ponk es un cab
rón
Old 09-27-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Phil
8 years using LE? Perhaps it's time to take the next step in your career.

Consider this: digi is a Hardware manufacturer, but what you really buy when you acquire PT is the name, the reputation, the support and the appearance of professionalism to your clients, in addition to the great software, interfaces and accessories.

It seems to me that you are one of the few caught at the edge of the LE envelope. If editing and mixing are your bread and butter, you should have the horsepower with a lender to finance yourself into an entry-level to modest HD rig. From your profile, you've got an acceptable computer platform and a control surface, it's just the interface/software you've got to change. Consider using digi's Hardware Upgrade options when reworking your business plan...hell, digi might even finance you themselves!!!
I am not caught at the edge of any "envelope". I regularly use HD/TDM systems (& other DAW's, but this is a Digidesign forum) & have done for years. It is your assumption that I only use LE. My signature read "Pro Tools user for 8 years". I'm not in a position to spend $30-40k AUS on a home system that I simply won't utilise. It's not just the hardware & software, its acoustic treatment - probably the most expensive thing of all (if done properly) & many other things (SP & DigiBeta VTR's etc, etc). Digi would never finance a single user - they have however set-up 'Pro Schools', there's one here in Sydney at a university. I'm not asking for 128+ tracks - just 48!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:19 AM

Quote:

Phil, 8 years using LE? Perhaps it's time to take the next step in your career.

Consider this: digi is a Hardware manufacturer, but what you really buy when you acquire PT is the name, the reputation, the support and the appearance of professionalism to your clients, in addition to the great software, interfaces and accessories.

It seems to me that you are one of the few caught at the edge of the LE envelope. If editing and mixing are your bread and butter, you should have the horsepower with a lender to finance yourself into an entry-level to modest HD rig. From your profile, you've got an acceptable computer platform and a control surface, it's just the interface/software you've got to change. Consider using digi's Hardware Upgrade options when reworking your business plan...hell, digi might even finance you themselves!!!
I am not caught at the edge of any "envelope". I regularly use HD/TDM systems & have done for years - I'm not in a position to spend $30-40k AUS on a home system that I simply won't utilise. It's not just the hardware & software, its acoustic treatment - probably the most expensive thing of all (if done properly) & many other things (SP & DigiBeta VTR's etc, etc). Digi would never finance a single user - they have however set-up 'Pro Schools', there's one here in Sydney at a university. I'm not asking for 128+ tracks - just 48!

[/QUOTE]

Once again, I'm going to side with Phil but in my case, I would flip for an HD Core system. HD does cost a lot of money, not to mention everything else to financially support the studio, but it also provides a complete professional interface and core system than LE/MP will ever have. Don't get me wrong. The MBox/2 and 002, even the M-Audio gear all work and pleasantly well too but the whole architecture of both are totally different... Two different animals. If I were making the big $$$, I would definitely buy into it and not because of its software. Yeah there software is great and I use it over everything else BUT the 192 i/o interface and the core/accel cards just make this whole system real sweet because of its power and flexibility and this enables anyone to work under no hardware, software and plug-in strain.

16 extra voices would certainly be more of a blessing for me and many. This would enable us to do the pre-production with LE/MP with so much ease and then add final touches and mix on a HD system.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:31 AM

Quote:
So let me get this straight. You are submitting a petition asking Digi to make changes to a product that they release on October 7th?

Perhaps a reality check on the complexities of software development may not go amiss!
They're announcing the new ver on Oct 7 - you can't tell me that an installer to unlock 16 more voices is some sort of quantum leap - lets hope it's already on the drawing board anyway eh? We know & they should be made aware - that many customers will walk if PTLE 7 still has only 32 voices, when their main competition features much, much more + surround mixing etc. But, let's not lift the lid on that one again... there's dozens of threads about that already. I'm saying Caa-monnn 48, no less!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 03:17 AM

one more vote for 48 voices from me!
Old 09-28-2005, 04:25 AM

Please Sir, can I have some more ?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 AM

I vote and wish
in straight order

1. Automatic Delay Compensation
2. 48 busses
3. 48 voices

nothing more and nothing less
Old 09-28-2005, 06:42 AM

C'mon Digi. Hook us up with 48.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:34 AM

ANOTHER VOTE for 48 voices!!!!!!!!
ponk es un cab
rón
Old 09-28-2005, 08:05 AM

I'd rather see native VST and AU support along with RTAS than 48 tracks... although 48 tracks would be nice too.