Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-1998, 09:14 AM

Default ASIO is becoming a standard for audio/sequencing apps.....when will digi support this on PC?

When can us PC users expect ASIO drivers for Digi products. While your hardware is the same across platforms your software e: drivers are not. How can you charge the same price from a PC user who will only get half the functionality out of the gear?
I'm speaking in particular about the AMIII and lack of ASIO - Full Duplex drivers. I paid $1200 and I still can't record and playback at the same time. Hardly a profeesional product. Please help me and other AMIII PC users by showing Digi has the ability to support the PC platform. Considering what I've gone through with the AMIII I for one am very, very reluctant to upgrade to PT for NT when Digi can't even release proper PC drivers. It's been 2 years and waiting Digi. What does the future hold?
Old 11-02-1998, 03:18 PM

Default Re: ASIO is becoming a standard for audio/sequencing apps.....when will digi support this on PC?

ASIO = cheap & slow. It has very high latencies - even on the best hardware when compared with TDM. Automation and response are nothing compared to TDM.

There are in fact ASIO drivers now available for Direct I/O -> the Project II Card. This is an issue that you need to take up with Steinberg.
Old 11-03-1998, 09:05 AM

Default Re: ASIO is becoming a standard for audio/sequencing apps.....when will digi support this on PC?

Well, I've been told that Logic and Vision will now be using ASIO as well as VST. As far as latency I don't really care....right now I can't even record and playback at the same time thanks to digi drivers.

Talk to Steinberg - this is not Steinberg's problem, they have been asking Digidesign for a low-level driver for 2 years. True, it is Steinberg who would make the ASIO driver but Digi must supply them with a low-level driver first.

Do you really think I would buy a project II card when I'm this dissatisfied with my AMIII????? Talk about a waste of money.

BTW. TDM is not availlable on PC for VST
Old 11-04-1998, 03:46 PM

I think Musiclab meant that Windows MME=cheap and slow-500+ ms of latency, sometimes more than a full second. This is a Windows-related problem. ASIO=under 50 ms latency, but is still not available for all sound cards. This is a Steinberg-related solution to the Windows related problem. Don't use TDM/Mac, so can't comment about that. If you want PC-native digital audio, check out Creamware products.
Old 11-04-1998, 04:24 PM

ASIO does not require a low level driver. It accesses the hardware directly. That is how it achieves better timing than windows - by bypassing the driver.

With a TDM system: analog signal, into system, recorded to hard disk, into TDM mixer and back out again all in about 4 samples = 0.1 msec. This is even quicker than a simple input delay on any of the Yamaha digital desks (O2R for example = 25 samples in to out)