Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2015, 02:50 PM

Default Timeline Mark stops when cursor (mouse pointer) move over Edit Window

I'm running Pro Tools 12.3 on my 27" iMac mid 2011 and I noticed today that during playback and recording if I move the mouse over the Edit window the timeline mark stops and the main counter stops. Also you can see that the meters on every track in the mixing window stop as well. Playback and recording continue their normal operation, I can hear the music playing but meters stop on all tracks and this is happening in my two computers (27" iMac mid 2011 and MacBook Pro Retina 13" mid 2014). This behavior is very annoying and I have no idea how to fix it. I have a video that I uploaded for you guys to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_elCa7TgI

Thanks for your help!!

Enrico Castagnetti
Old 01-03-2016, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Timeline Mark stops when cursor (mouse pointer) move over Edit Window

I will second this problem. Though I am on a late model 2015 iMac i7 5K Retina 27" (etc etc, meaning, brand-spanking-new) system with el Capitan and all the latest updates. I just received the unit in Nov 2015, and due to the holidays hadn't had much time to play with Pro Tools on the new machine. Naturally, Apples 2-seconds-to-return policy have me stuck with a $3200 paperweight because I literally cannot use it with PT11.3.1 at all.

The Mac specs are OS X El Capitan 10.11.2, 4GHz i7, 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ram (upgrade kit from OWC) and the AMD R9 4096MB graphics card.

PT 11 is a fresh install, as nothing other than stock stuff was installed on this machine before this.

The system does have the 2TB Fusion drive, and I have heard nothing but horror stories about these "hybrid" drives, but I am not convinced a jerky timeline when moving a mouse/trackpad/cursor around the screen is caused by a funky drive technology.

I'm primarily from the Windows world (sorry) and honestly, never had any problems like this on a lesser machine (power-wise) in Windows 7, for 4 years I've been using Pro Tools. Even 11.3.1 works fine on Windows - I just mistakenly thought using an iMac was a good idea in the studio, and now I see it was the most expensive mistake I've ever made.

Hopefully adding my dog in this fight might get the OP some answers as well. From searching the web, this is a common issue and no one seems to know how to solve it.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Timeline Mark stops when cursor (mouse pointer) move over Edit Window

Hello!

Same issue here! It's very annoying!

My iMac is a new one and it is very near to the top of the iMac performance range (today). See below for the tech details. The Pro Tools installation is 'fresh' (no problems during installation) . My sound card is a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
I'm working and storing my sessions on an external usb disk.
I made all the settings suggested by Avid to optimise my OSX.

It's incredible! I never suppose to have a stupid 'graphic' problem like this. At the beginning I was thinking to my problem, but then I found this thread and the bug is exactly the same!

Is there anybody in Avid that can solve this 'irritating' bug?! If you buy cheap or free sw you can aspect some elementary graphic malfunction like this. But if you buy Pro tools by AVID you never think to find stupid bugs as a stop of the marker on the timeline!

I'm opening a support request!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:56 AM

Do a search for Fusion Drive and you'll see that it really is death for PT.

Also, there are any number of people having graphics issues with El Capitan and Pro Tools.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 AM

Dear "The Weed",

I don't have the fusion drive, I have a 550GB SSD. By the way, do you think is it acceptable? Pro Tools 12.4 support El Capitan.

Bye
Old 02-10-2016, 09:50 AM

I contacted the Avid support and they reply:

" Thank you for contacting Avid Customer Care.
Please note that what you're experiencing is a known issue and it will be addressed in the next release of PT12."

So, we will waiting for the next release....
Old 02-15-2016, 06:13 AM

Hmm, Fusion Drive... yes I do have that, though I did try reading sessions off the system drive (Fusion) and an attached USB 3.0 drive. The idea that this is a known issue that will be fixed (only?) in PT12 is sad, because I have no intention of upgrading to the new "subscription" based licensing. I kinda prefer to own what I purchase. So I wonder if this means PT11 users are just screwed?

Might be time to investigate a new DAW. That's a horrible notion, since I have 6 years worth, thousands of sessions in PTx.

Thank you for at least validating the issue is not just me :)
Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM

You don't have to go rental. There are 2 schemes, Subscription and Annual Support Plan. I have a perpetual license and the Annual Support Plan. I don't have to renew the Plan if I don't want to and, if I don't, I can still use Pro Tools, but won't receive any more updates/upgrades.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-23-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
You don't have to go rental. There are 2 schemes, Subscription and Annual Support Plan. I have a perpetual license and the Annual Support Plan. I don't have to renew the Plan if I don't want to and, if I don't, I can still use Pro Tools, but won't receive any more updates/upgrades.

Cheers,
That is awesome news, thank you. Last I read (a while ago) there was speculation that the new licensing was going to be "pay as you go" and if you stopped paying, it stopped working. Not to derail the thread, but it looks like I can stick around and see if they fix the timeline issue after all.

Thank you again.