Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 AM

Default Installing PTLE

Hi Guys

First post! I'm just getting into to this area so please excuse any ignorance on my part(!) I've bought an iMac 2.4 Ghz Intel Core-Duo and a Digi003 rack, along with some monitors and other bits and pieces.

(It came with Leopard but I've installed Tiger 10.4.11 beacuse of the compatibility issues and will upgrade to Leopard in due course).

I'm having problems with the installation so I just wanted to ask a few questions.

First

In the manual it says that I should dedicate a seperate drive or something like solely to PT. Does this mean that ideally I should be running an external HD or is it ok to just partition the HD. If the latter suffices i've never actually done that before so does anyone have any advice on this? Is it permanent, once I do it (i.e. do the partitions remain when I install leopard eventually?). From looking around on how to do it it doesn't seem hard I just wanted to check if there were any caveats before I go ahead.

Second (and more important/serious)

When I switched the 003 on the other day for the first time, (it wasn't connected to anything other than the power supply), It first gave a loud clicking sound, followed by another click with all the lights flashing once then a final click with the monitor mute button staying on after all of this. I was concerned at this because it didn't sound very natural. Does anyone know if this is a bad thing? If so what should I do?

Any help would be much appreciated guys I just want to get this thing up and running and start making music.

Duff
Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Installing PTLE

1. An external HD is recommended because the read/write heads on the system drive can have trouble accessing the audio whilst at the same time attending to the operating system. Partitioning, does not address this.

2. The behavior you have described sounds like the normal start-up/validation procedure for the 003. Monitor mute on is by default as this avoids a potential loud pop if the 003 is on when you boot-up your Mac.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Installing PTLE

Hey thanks for that... puts my mind at ease!