Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2022, 06:02 PM

Default Dolby Atmos Native

Wondering if now that cubase, logic and more are Dolby Atmos compatible with built in render, Pro tools gonna include something similar...
Old 03-26-2022, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlees View Post
Wondering if now that cubase, logic and more are Dolby Atmos compatible with built in render, Pro tools gonna include something similar...
Doubt it. They usually leave it up to the developer to make it work within their specs.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlees View Post
The Logic version is a whole different ball game. I have both here in my room.
Very basic in regards to what it does. Much better implementation in Protools or Steinberg stuff with the Dolby Renderer involved. Still does not do Broadcast ADAM files for artist/label approval and also picture stuff. That can only be printed from the renderer. The renderer also as you probably know gives you better metering, loudness analysis and a bunch of other small things in PT for sure.

We will see, but I think there will be some good improvements coming. All I can say.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-26-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
The Logic version is a whole different ball game. I have both here in my room.
Very basic in regards to what it does. Much better implementation in Protools or Steinberg stuff with the Dolby Renderer involved. Still does not do Broadcast ADAM files for artist/label approval and also picture stuff. That can only be printed from the renderer. The renderer also as you probably know gives you better metering, loudness analysis and a bunch of other small things in PT for sure.

We will see, but I think there will be some good improvements coming. All I can say.

G
That makes sense. No one is really doing Atmos outside of Pro Tools.

Its only $299 which is relatively cheap considering.

Be sure you are NOT on a 5,1 and install it. The specs are really vague on the system specs but show 10.13.6 as acceptable.
At least in the AVID webpage.

I think it needs a minimum of an i5, maybe i7 chip, minimum Pro is 6,1.

I bought it, installed it and could not boot back into my OS. I had figure it out on my own, but I have a backup OS I could boot into, go and search for Dolby to as well as install dates in my library to remove it in order to boot again.

There were things in the prelinkedkernels I think as well as App support files that would keep the 5,1 from booting.
Maybe the audio bridge.

Anyway, I removed everything. Back to normal instantly. Without my backup boot drive I would have been dead in the water.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post

Be sure you are NOT on a 5,1 and install it. The specs are really vague on the system specs but show 10.13.6 as acceptable.

I bought it, installed it and could not boot back into my OS. I had figure it out on my own, but I have a backup OS I could boot into, go and search for Dolby to as well as install dates in my library to remove it in order to boot again.

There were things in the prelinkedkernels I think as well as App support files that would keep the 5,1 from booting.
Maybe the audio bridge.

Anyway, I removed everything. Back to normal instantly. Without my backup boot drive I would have been dead in the water.
OK I guess you are speaking to the other person here, but I am totally solid here running anything I want. You can see my entire system in my profile, which is what Jeff Komar at Avid helped me with over a year ago to assemble my new Atmos room. I was advised to stay put on Catalina then and now, so I see no need to update even with the latest news about Monterey. I think it's more about the new Macs and the scenario of "no other choice with new Mac's" deal.

I myself have no need right now for a new Mac and am waiting until summer to look at things then. We will know more later about OS with a new update from Avid, which I think we will see not too far in the future.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-27-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Maybe the audio bridge.

I think you may have had other issues with your 5,1. I’ve got the Dolby Atmos Suite running fine on my 5,1. I’ve done a couple of smaller Atmos deliveries already.

I am running a pretty souped up 5,1 on Big Sur though.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I think you may have had other issues with your 5,1. I’ve got the Dolby Atmos Suite running fine on my 5,1. I’ve done a couple of smaller Atmos deliveries already.

I am running a pretty souped up 5,1 on Big Sur though.
I spoke with AVID directly and the 5,1 isn't supported, so whatever you have done isn't supported by AVID, but at least it is working for you.

Maybe there is some Open GL stuff you are doing.

Literally when I removed the Dolby bridge and other files related, it booted fine.

My system runs fine, has been for years. Need to update to Mohave soon though.
Mine is a 5,1 12 core 3.46, 128 gigs of Ram with a Radeon RX 580 8gig flashed, expansion with USB 3.2, OCTO core UAD card, FW card for Apollo.
I haven't decided whether to get the Ridge Tbolt or not, but considering with the new Macs coming out still, I'll just upgrade for the 2022 line from here.

I have a 10 core Macbook 14" with 32 gigs of RAM, and now that PT works, I just need to dig into updating some other hardware.

Ironically, Atmos would have worked on my older MacBook Pro as the intel chip was new even though it was a mid 2012 model.
However, it only has 8 gigs and just isn't enough to run Pro tools.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
OK I guess you are speaking to the other person here, but I am totally solid here running anything I want. You can see my entire system in my profile, which is what Jeff Komar at Avid helped me with over a year ago to assemble my new Atmos room. I was advised to stay put on Catalina then and now, so I see no need to update even with the latest news about Monterey. I think it's more about the new Macs and the scenario of "no other choice with new Mac's" deal.

I myself have no need right now for a new Mac and am waiting until summer to look at things then. We will know more later about OS with a new update from Avid, which I think we will see not too far in the future.

G
Yeah, but since many still run 5,1's I thought a warning might be in order.

6,1 and above all have what is required to work.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I spoke with AVID directly and the 5,1 isn't supported, so whatever you have done isn't supported by AVID, but at least it is working for you.

Maybe there is some Open GL stuff you are doing.

Literally when I removed the Dolby bridge and other files related, it booted fine.

My system runs fine, has been for years. Need to update to Mohave soon though.
Mine is a 5,1 12 core 3.46, 128 gigs of Ram with a Radeon RX 580 8gig flashed, expansion with USB 3.2, OCTO core UAD card, FW card for Apollo.
I haven't decided whether to get the Ridge Tbolt or not, but considering with the new Macs coming out still, I'll just upgrade for the 2022 line from here.

I have a 10 core Macbook 14" with 32 gigs of RAM, and now that PT works, I just need to dig into updating some other hardware.

Ironically, Atmos would have worked on my older MacBook Pro as the intel chip was new even though it was a mid 2012 model.
However, it only has 8 gigs and just isn't enough to run Pro tools.
I’m curious what they claim is not compatible with the Dolby Production Suite and the 5,1. I’m not aware of any Xeon functions in the Ivy bridge vs the Westmere processors that the DPS would use and if it did, the software wouldn’t boot on my 5,1.

I would be more suspicious of your flashed RX580 or the older macOS you’re running. RX580 drivers in anything pre Mojave were problematic. As I said, my 5,1 has no issues running the Dolby Suite with Pro Tools 2021.12 and macOS 11.6.5, even though Dolby says it should top out at 10.15.7.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.

Last edited by off the wall; 03-27-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I’m curious what they claim is not compatible with the Dolby Production Suite and the 5,1. I’m not aware of any Xeon functions in the Ivy bridge vs the Westmere processors that the DPS would use and if it did, the software wouldn’t boot on my 5,1.

I would be more suspicious of your flashed RX580 or the older macOS you’re running. RX580 drivers in anything profit to Mojave were problematic. As I said, my 5,1 has no issues running the Dolby Suite with Pro Tools 2021.12 and macOS 11.6.5, even though Dolby says it should top out at 10.15.7.
They said it was the Xeon processors. I have installed no drivers for the 580.

I know you are using Open Core, so maybe there is something there. I was told by multiple AVID people that my system was no compatible.
AVID actually refunded me my purchase because the website only stated 10.13.6 or above and PT Ultimate would work.
And still does.

https://www.avid.com/plugins/dolby-a...oduction-suite

My friend at Burbank sent me the computer spec list and 5,1 isn't on there, but nothing else is listed.

Sweetwater has this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...astering-suite

Nothing says what qualifying Macs there are.

Did you update you 5,1 on your own? The CPU's that is? Maybe there is a later version CPU you have that works under whatever you have tweaked where the ones I have don't.

Or thought Open Core it allows it to work.

I'd love to know. Not that I am going to rebuild my system to make it work, more curiosity.

Also is there a difference in the production suit vs the mastering suite other than more licenses?

I've got an upgrade path over the next year to move everything to Monterey and Silicon so, it will be slow but current eventually. Both my 5,1's will just be work horses for transfers, Up and downloading, backup systems, VI servers etc.
Maybe I'll take one out as a test system for Open Core just to learn. But I doubt I'll have the time.

Last edited by audiolex1; 03-27-2022 at 10:12 PM.