Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2022, 01:36 PM

Default How many of you guys open cases with Avid for technical issues?

I see a lot of people either complaining or adding information for each issue, but I feel like it's not as effective as opening a case with avid and providing specific system details.

I submitted cases for the Saving ARA, and mono to stereo incompatibility issue and Avid has gotten back to me fast and provided me with info on the issues that I could not find on the specific thread topics here.

I know Avid employees are fairly active on this forum and hear the common issues we are having, but opening a case has to be more effective for them to fix the bugs.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:41 PM

Default Re: How many of you guys open cases with Avid for technical issues?

I’ve had TWO “experiences.” One: set up a very definitive time for them to call, and I arranged my whole day around it. Supposed to call at 10 AM. Called at 4PM. “What happened to 10 this morning?” “Oh, I had some other stuff to take care of.” Seriously???
Two: Not getting my I pad to talk to Eucon on Windows. That was at least a year ago, and this supposed “support ticket” is floating around in cyberspace, because they 100% ghosted me on it. Your support dollars hard at work….
Old 11-07-2022, 03:50 PM

Yeah I’ve opened many cases in my time, but can also feel resentful that I’m an unpaid bug chaser.
Old 11-07-2022, 04:08 PM

Any time I can reproduce a bug consistently, yes.

They're usually pretty quick to respond. Need to have some patience, as they'll have the usual basic questions to rule out user-error.

Depending on the person assigned, it usually evolves fairly quickly into action, and eventually a bug fix. As an early M1 adopter, I've been through a fair number of these.

Sadly, I'm on a ticket currently that I know with certainty is a pro tools bug but is being treated like a problem with my system. In those cases, making noise here can help expedite the process.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:06 PM

I used to open cases, but I have become increasingly less interested in doing it. The last case took 10 days for them to even acknowledge. By then, my life (and probably most users) has moved onto focusing on something else entirely, projects, work, family, etc. There are just too many hoops in the way of it being efficient. And too much expectation that I am paying $399 a year to give Avid access to my own personal time to help them out.

Heck, two years ago I lodged a case and the support representative needed to check if I was required to sign an NDA before proceeding. No thanks. If there is a show stopping bug that can literally ruin peoples projects and livelihoods, Avid should really be telling everyone about it rather than trying to hide it away.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:32 PM

Dealing with Avid support can be pretty painful and frustrating. It seems to be a struggling organization. And coming out of enterprise focused software/hardware technology background it just looks disorganized with poor reporting back to the customer, poor incident to bug workflow/tracking. And lot of satisfaction surveys that don't often don't measure stuff that is actually relevant (who wants to dump on the poor tech trying to help with a problem with it's not their fault the problem exists or support is messed up).

Still there are a bunch of times/issues where I'd encourage folks to go to them fast, especially if they are dead in the water say with HDX/HD Native cards/driver issues that some folks have now, or folks who are very non technical and are struggling to provide info on DUC, some of those folks can have a much better experience with a support person stepping them though answering questions.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:51 PM

I do every time I have a repeatable bug or broken feature.

It's a pain and it's not always productive. But it's the primary way to get things on the fix list. I like to suggest it to everyone that posts here and uses Ultimate. We're paying a ton of money for support. Use it.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:15 PM

Support for me has always been hit or miss over the years. Sometimes issues get fixed by going back to a previous version or "unfortunately" waiting for the next version. One time I got a reply that they had not received any other reports about my issue. BUT, I had already seen threads/posts on DUC and/or Gearslutz about the issue being reported.

I try my best to troubleshoot the issue or search online for solutions prior to submitting support tickets.

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 11-08-2022, 03:21 AM

Just bug reporting for me, step-by-step reproducible and all, but most of them just logged without a fix.

I find it easier now to just adapt my workflow around issues and move on. I do not blame the support guys though, they are outsourced trying the best they can do. Although I do think they were more engaging years back, but that's maybe just my cases.

But yeah, it's paying for just bug reporting.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:39 AM

I get bugs logged relatively frequently.
Occasionally we disagree over whether something is a bug or working as designed.
But as for bugs getting fixed... not so much.
There's a bug that they know about still outstanding from Pro Tools 7.2
:)