Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2011, 10:42 AM

Default Access violation and crashing Pro Tools version 8

Here we go. I had a G5 dual for years with Pro Tools version 7, Digi 002 Rack, and it ran like a champ. No rampant crashes.

Recently bought new gear: iMac 2.8 GHz i7, Mac OS 10.6.3, 16 Gigs of RAM, with the same Digi 002 Rack, and now version 8.0.4 Pro Tools.

I'm getting the 'access violation has occurred' message, then the crashing.
It seems to be less when I start a new project. But it still happens.
Opening migrated projects that were started in version 7 really crashes the system. Simple tasks like opening up a Bus Send 5-6 will just crash the software. The 'Air Plug Ins' don't open at all, that is a for sure crash.

Anyway like the rest I scan this forum for answers and found no real solution. i have done the trouble shooting rundown, like 'rebuilding permissions, trashing preferences, re-installing, and upgrading, etc. Nothing helps. I refuse to 'wipe' my internal hard drive and reinstall Snow Leopard, and then spend days reinstalling all of my VI's and RTAS Plug Ins.
I mean, I just got done dialing in the system.

So if there is anyone who knows something I don't please inform me what is up with version 8. I mean why can't it just work?
Not for nothing but if I don't get it fixed I'm just going to continue building my Logic chops and I'll just switch over to Logic because its running stable and is a great production software. I know that the audio capabilities with Pro Tools are superior but I can't mess around with the buggy BS any longer.

Thanks, MC
Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Access violation and crashing Pro Tools version 8

Me again. I' see I'm not the only one who's been thwarted. Here's a quote from another forum:

"Why Digidesign and Pro Tools Sucks...
In my opinion Pro Tools HD and Pro tools LE is a waist of money. Yet new engineers are still continuously being brain washed in recording schools to believe that this program is the best and the only recording software they should be using. It is in my opinion one of the worst out dated recording programs out there. The whole company is a big rip off. Here is a few key reasons why I believe this.
*Limited track and count and voicings on HD and LE
*No off line bouncing (must bounce tracks in real time)
*Video options cost extra (a lot extra)
*You must use there crapy hardwear
*Compatibility problems every time something gets updated
*No sample library ( or very small)
*Horrible for midi editing
*Hardly any virtual instruments
*No saving channel-strip pre sets
*Can't use pro tools without digidesign hardwear plugged in
*Not very many stock plugins
*Runs the least amount of native plugins compared to other recording programs.
*Hardwear automation consoles such as the C/24, icon and D-command will not work on other DAW programs.
*The slowest to update software with new OS systems
*Error reports stop session wile recording or bouncing.
*Must pay for tech support
*Horrible internal summing bus compared to other programs
*Limited Aux tracks
*limited amount of plugins
*No MP3 encoding without purchasing separately
*No OMF support without purchasing separetly ($1000)
*No distributed processing across multiple computers (NODES)

I could go on for ever. The point is that Logic, Cubase, Sonar and Ableton Live have non of these problems. With computers being as fast as there are today you rarley need the Pro tools HD TDM core system cards for your plugins. The Apogee synphony system blows it away anyway. With computers getting even faster there will be no need to be chained on Digidesigns dog leash. I have never met anyone that has all the program and still prefers "Slow" Tools.
Thanks,
-Whiting"
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Avid

Default Re: Access violation and crashing Pro Tools version 8

Pro Tools 9 opens up a few of the items on your list:

*You must use there crapy hardwear
*Can't use pro tools without digidesign hardwear plugged in
*No MP3 encoding without purchasing separately
*No OMF support without purchasing separetly ($1000)

As for your problems, it sounds like it's very likely plug-in related - meaning you have incompatible plug-ins installed. Have you compared your installed plug-in version list to the ones on our grid and removed/updated anything that doesn't meet the minimum requirement?

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=343311