Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 AM

Default Copy Files On Import bug in PT11?

I've got major issues with copy files on import in PTHD 11.2.1 in Win 7 64 bit pro. In short - if I have the box checked and import via drag and drop, then uncheck and import, then check once again, I can no longer drag and drop - it keeps re-pasting the last file before the box was checked again.

I made a step-by-step replication guide in this post in the PT11 subform - http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2222884&postcount=7 - grateful if anyone has 5 minutes to see if they can replicate on their rigs.

Particularly interested to know if any brave PT11.3 Windows owners have the issue - I've held off upgrading as I've heard there are other lovely new issues with that version.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Copy Files On Import bug in PT11?

Cannot confirm this with PT 11.2.1 , Win7 64bit Pro , 3 different WAV 24bit/48khz dragged from explorer , non-interleaved blank session 24/48.
Edit : automatically copy on import was already checked after creation of the session.
Edit : with a session created and "automatically copy on import" deselected and than selected : no change, cannot confirm.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-20-2015, 01:27 AM

Thanks very much Joachim, really appreciate it.

I've just done the same tests on a 24 bit project (my original test was also non-interleave but 16 bit), and it's behaving normally also on both 24 and 16 bit files. I then redid my 16 bit test - which ALSO behaved normally. So whatever breaks the projects, it's clearly more complex.

My history with this problem is that PT11 seemed to be fine working on it for many weeks, no issue. Then one day this bug appeared in a session and I couldn't get rid of it. I imported all tracks into a new session, and the bug came with it. Yesterday PT11 crashed on a project when dragging and dropping, after which I did my tests on blank projects. Under those conditions, I created a reproducible bug. However, after a restart today, the bug has gone once more.

My working theory is that another condition is needed to activate the bug, which gets wiped out on a restart - however, if your session has that bug, then even a restart won't help. I'll spend some more time now trying to isolate the bugger.

Thanks once again Joachim.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-20-2015, 05:06 PM

Similar problem here on OSX 10.8.5, Pro Tools 11.2.1

Everything drag-and-drops fine with the copy option checked off, but when checked on, it puts another clip in the timeline instead - in this case an old clip I actually imported in the session several days ago... Oddly enough, the display also gets totally messed up in the timeline : if I drag a stereo sound from the Finder, only one of the channels shows entirely (the length of the actual sound dragged from the Finder), and the other channel shows only partially... no waveform display on either channels, and when playing back, I get the sound of the old clip from days ago!

I haven't done any test with a newer session as you did, but this isn't the first time I noticed this issue, though I found out it was linked to the copy option only today... I thought it had something to do with graphics or waveform calculation because of the strange display. Very frustrating bug!

EDIT : Just updated to 11.3 in case it might solve the issue... No chance.

Last edited by gcamp; 01-20-2015 at 09:59 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 AM

Any update on this issue?

I read somewhere it might have something to do with the current state of the session itself, something messed up in the session structure or something along the way, so I tried to "Save copy in", use back-ups sessions, but nothing resolved the issue so far.

However, I started work on a new session and the issue is absent. Nonetheless, the affected session is of utter importance to me and by now far too complex to start anew or import everything in a brand new session.

So I tried to use other import methods, including the WorkSpace, but the exact same issue also happens when trying to drag and drop from Pro Tool's own WorkSpace!! So far, the only way to add new sounds properly to this session is through Import Audio Files --> Clip List --> Drag from clip list. I can't drag from Finder or WorkSpace to the Clip list either, as the issue remains when I drag sounds added this way from the Clip list to the Timeline.

It's a major waste of time, totally crippling my workflow! I hope somebody comes up with a solution...
Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM

I'm going through it now with tech support, but so far they haven't replicated (I think they weren't dragging from the OS though). Once a session is afflicted, I can't get rid of it, so I sent them a simple session. Works ok in 10.3.9.

Dragging from the Workspace works ok, but it's not as convenient for me.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-10-2015, 01:16 PM

Nothing new on this topic? The issue is still giving me trouble...