Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 AM

Default SRS Circle Surround Encode/Decode Plug

Does anyone else here have experience using these plug-ins to make LtRts? I've been using them to create LtRt from 5.1 mixes and the steering issues have been driving me crazy. Dialog (or other center channel audio) gets dropped from C and put into L/R constantly, especially if there is other program (music / sfx) that is louder than the dialog. I've been doing LtRt mixes using a bounced 5.1 mix. I have the encoder and decoder on the master fader, and I split the 5.1 track to mono so I can adjust gain to ensure C channel audio stays in C. This method works to some extent, but in the process, changes the dynamics of the mix way too much for my taste. At the end of the day, I either have a decoded LCRS where the center channel is too loud or C channel audio shifting between C and L/R, sometimes multiple times a second. If there is anyone who can let me know of a better way to mix/monitor an LtRt mix please leave a post. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM

Default Re: SRS Circle Surround Encode/Decode Plug

SRS Circle TDM is DEAD.

It has decode issues with PT 7.4 and up. The company stopped selling, and supporting it.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:33 PM

A bit of Dialogue divergence into the Left and Right of a decoded LCRS is common. It is a by-product of creating the Dolby Stereo matrix. Also remember that you can only really be panning one thing at a time on a Stereo mix, otherwise you might run into issues with the folddown.
Now that SRS is no longer supporting your product, there are a few others you might want to look at. The Dolby Surround tool works well. Both Minnetonka and Neyrinck make audio suite plug ins that will matrix a 5.1 down to a Dolby Stereo track. I have used the Neyrinck one and have been pleased with the result.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMJW View Post
Does anyone else here have experience using these plug-ins to make LtRts? I've been using them to create LtRt from 5.1 mixes and the steering issues have been driving me crazy. Dialog (or other center channel audio) gets dropped from C and put into L/R constantly, especially if there is other program (music / sfx) that is louder than the dialog. I've been doing LtRt mixes using a bounced 5.1 mix. I have the encoder and decoder on the master fader, and I split the 5.1 track to mono so I can adjust gain to ensure C channel audio stays in C. This method works to some extent, but in the process, changes the dynamics of the mix way too much for my taste. At the end of the day, I either have a decoded LCRS where the center channel is too loud or C channel audio shifting between C and L/R, sometimes multiple times a second. If there is anyone who can let me know of a better way to mix/monitor an LtRt mix please leave a post. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll check into some other plugs.