Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Protools HD 10 CPU overload problem

No plug-ins, just a simple 9-track instrument/vocal mix. No midi.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC Music View Post
Can you list any plugins you are using... if any?
No plug-ins, just a simple 9-track instrument/vocal mix, no midi.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:23 PM

Hi,

This seems to be the needle in the heystack solution but i don't believe you confirmed your plug in compatability and currency. Out of date plugs is one of the many things that PT doesn't like.

Plug tools is shareware and makes it easy to check and update your plugs , also have you down all optimizations , what about some mac cleaning like OnyX and definitely have multiple recommended drives.

Doing all these things helps PT run efficiently. I had 170%cpu figurees and now much lower and more stable.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM

Epiphone

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not using any plug-ins, and the plug-ins loaded in the PT 10 version are only the ones downloaded with PT. Hard to believe (though I know, not impossible) that AVID would provide software with incompatable plug-ins. I guess stranger things have happened.

But I will check compatability.

I don't think my Mac performance is the issue. The system usage meter in PT was showing only about 1% CPU use when it was shutting down. Leading me to think it was either such a fast, transient CPU overload that I couldn't see it...or some unrelated glitch.

But the cleaning suggestion is reasonable, and always a good idea from time to time.

In my frustration I have been doing the usual internet-searching on this error (6101). I have found:

1. Lots of people report this problem, often when trying to bounce, and with different PT versions.
2. There seem to be at least a few fixes that work for different people. Leading me to think that there is more than one, and probably several, cause for this error.

Amazingly, I am so far having good luck - no error messages yet, knock on wood - with one of the simplest fix suggestions: just unchecking the Host Engine Ignore Errors box in the Playback Engine settings.

I will post again if (when?) the problem returns, just to let others know. And I will get a second hard drive.

I appreciate all the input, and still welcome any other ideas, especially if they come with a reason, or if someone an explain why the Ignore Errors option has such a big effect.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 AM

I have tried all the ways that all people told me, but the 6031 remains. I have to give up the MDW plugins. this error comes out most offten when I use MDW plugin and Autotune.