Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 AM

Default 1. Clip Gain and 2. Import session

Good morning everyone:

Yesterday for the first time I had the opportunity to quickly edit a session in PT 10 - boy that clip gain feature is really neat and saves a lot of time!

Two quick questions:

1. What happens to clip gain when I save / convert a PT 10 session to an earlier version of Pro Tools, is it automatically converted to volume automation or do I need to convert it to volume automation while still in PT 10? If the latter, do I need a production toolkit or something like that?

2. Another question, not related to PT 10. Yesterday I did a number of voice over sessions for a short animation (I am primarily responsible for the music but we're on a tight deadline and we wanted to get as much done as possible and maximize resources, studio time is quiet on a Sunday). I gave the entire session to my animators, using 'save as' feature, so that includes all dialogue, temp music, orignal music, voice over, etc. Somebody else is going to do all the audio editing, including dialogue, effects, vo, and mix in our music. Two sub questions on that:

a. With that 'saved as' session, the sound editor should be able to find all the voice over I recorded, right? I used the loop function to record some parts over and over again, only the latest take is active in the edit view, rest is in the clip / audio bin. I told the animators that the editor would have to go over everything and audition all the takes, take the best pick, edit things together, and that that is quite a bit of work.

b. Let's assume that the audio editor already set up a master session with edited dialogue / effects / foley. If the editor then imports one or more tracks from another Pro Tools session, does he only import the tracks with the active regions / clips, or the inactive subregions / clips that are in the imported session's bin? If the latter is the case, what is the best / easiest way for the audio editor to "get everything together"? You can't have several Pro Tools sessions open simulatenously as far as I know.

Sorry for my long winded questions, some of this may be found in the reference, I just want to make sure nothing falls between the cracks even if it's not my responsibility.

Many thanks as always!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM

Default Re: 1. Clip Gain and 2. Import session

1. PT10 has always warned me that clip gain values will simply be dropped during "Save Copy In" to version 7-9. I make sure clip gain is zero'ed out before doing this.

2. Also in "Save Copy In" you have the option to save "Main Playlist Only", but only if you stay in PT10. The default setting is that all the buried playlists will be available. So a PT7-9 "Save Copy In" will have those playlists.

On the other side, when you "Import Session Data", you have the option to take the alternate playlists or not via a checkbox.

Finally, Pro Tools will pull all the media you need during "Import Session Data", don't worry about that.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:33 PM

there is a feature called "coalesce clip gain to automation"

just like trim or vca's, this will combine the clip gains into your existing fader auto.

Any clip gains above 12db get killed, if you fine that you have to open it up this much and you know you'll be saving down to 7-9, good idea to render this clip gain first.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Yes, to coalesce clip gain, you need either HD or CPTK. And as mentioned, anything above +12 dB is ignored. But you can chose to render the clip gain, which is available in all versions AFAIK. Look under the Clip menu.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM

Many thanks for the feedback --- this is a wonderful and very informative forum!!

I checked with the audio guy earlier this afternoon, btw, he's all good to go apparently, so we are all on the same page.