How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
"Expensive" is a vague and relative term, anyway. Something is generally only "expensive" to someone who either can't afford it, or doesn't see the value in it. Otherwise, it is just an "expense" or "investment" to those who find it suits their needs.

Yes, and Amen
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Yes only because apple has decided that the only place you could buy the software anymore was from the apple store. - And also, only because it's now a sale boosting tool of their computers.....(Logic)
Yes and Amen again

Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM

Default Re: pro tools is expensive so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Malcangi View Post
I was just editing this into my reply when you posted your response:

"There maybe limited benefit to this feature on the music side but when it comes to audio post, this feature is invaluable rather than "an old argument". It's not just a case of being able to open native sessions of a big HD rig though, it's also a case that PT dominates the professional market and hobbyists like to feel they are using the same tools the professionals use and students want a cheap way to learn the tools professionals use. "

I have no idea how the figures pan out. For professional use I wouldn't be surprised if the number of native users in post out number those in music but really I've no idea. For home and hobbyist use I would expect more native users are in the music side of the audio business.
I am not saying that PT does not dominate the professional market. I work in that market and, yes, PT HD is the final stamp on almost all songs. You also have the environment where projects start and finish on HD. I get that. I'm talking about native though.

What is the first thing someone says here on the DUC to distinguish HD from native? "HD is what the pros use." So, that tells me that everyone else uses native. You can't have it both ways. PT native does not hold the same weight in a pro environment as HD. Also, I just don't think that a large portion of native users, and potential native users will work extensively (or at all) in environments that require a PT template for every step of the production process.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 PM

As reverbs go, I'm loving Valhalla room. It's fantastic and only $49.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhunBorruel View Post
no no no, i am just saying, it sucks to buy the industry leading daw, and all of a sudden, the plugins arent any good. you know, its like buying a bmw and expect a bmw...

but anyways, i spent a whole lot on pro tools and i didnt want to go buy waves and other plugins... it gets expensive for a hobbyist..
The stock plugs are very good. Good EQ, good compression, good delay, good soft synths.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:49 PM

You think PT is expensive (op) - try going to a pro studio with PT running apogee's and find out how much they want to charge u to run that setup - if u look at it like that PT and an mbox (I don't own one) is cheap -

Learn to mix and get a good recording setup/room ! Good monitors - and then send ur song out to master

Old 04-29-2012, 01:49 PM

If you think PT is expensive try buying quality gear for live sound. I would love to find a good digital mixer for the cost of Pro Tools. Having spent a decent amount of money on hardware effects and compressors for live sound I can say that with some practice you can get good results from the available plugins. Just like anything, it takes practice to learn the gear. Patching an EQ in front of a reverb can do wonders. One just has to be creative.
002 R
MOTU 2408 MK.3
PRESONUS DIGIMAX
MIDAS 320
Tascam DM 24
Ramsa DM 7
EVENT 20/20
Way to much stuff