Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 AM

Default Re: headphones sound better than any type of speakers, have tried everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ma View Post
Hi guys!
I got my 11r a month ago for like 300 bucks new.
First i tried it with headphones, and the thing is just amazing !! (i had pod hd 500 before)
But you know i have always been hating to play through headphones, i like that feel of speakers!
Then i got PA for my 11r and the problem was - in headphones the sound was just amazing, that cutting, raging type of sound from my Fender, that proper steely sort of sound when i split the humb to single coil and that typical SRV sound from neck single. But from PA it was coming sort of weaker option from what i hear in headphones, it's like OK but i don't get that "bite" when connected to PA.
I tried PA, some random bookshelf speakers, KRK monitors, and 2x12 combo to fx loop! Everything sounded so so compared to headphones, how is that possible?
I tried to tweak presets for speakers but it didn't help, smthng just felt wrong. My output set as "Rig out"
I would appreciate if someone have an idea of what could be the problem! But i didn't see any issues of that kind in forums
Thank you
The problem as others have pointed out is volume gain staging issue.

Problem : I'm almost sure that the way way you have things set up, your volume knob that controls the headphone volume is probably between 4-6 which is the cause of the problem. Your receiver or powered speakers are receiving this 4-6 volume level and it's probably not enough or a proper signal for best signal to noise ratio also.

Solution: Set the volume knob that control rig volume/headphone volume to somewhere between 8-10. I have mine set at 10 and I believe I get the best signal to noise ratio to my studio speakers.
This will create a small problem for the headphone volume that will be very loud, but there's a small solution from "user options" go to "Headphone Volume"." This control sets the volume of the Headphone
outputs on Eleven Rack, as an offset from the
Main output volume."

To explore User Options mode from the front panel
of Eleven Rack:
1 Press and hold the Edit/Back button until the
User Options screen appears.
2 Turn the Scroll wheel to select the option you
want to change.
3 Press the SW1 button to access the controls for
that option.
4 Press Edit/Back once to return to the User Options menu, or twice to exit User Options mode
and return to the previous screen.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...ide_v801_62404.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 AM

Default Re: headphones sound better than any type of speakers, have tried everything.

Of course, when you're listening through headphones you're not having to deal with any "room deficiencies".

If you're room is less than optimal nothing is ever going to sound its best in there. This is why recording studios have all of that acoustic treatment.

Are you perhaps expecting too much from a sub-optimal room?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
The problem as others have pointed out is volume gain staging issue.

Problem : I'm almost sure that the way way you have things set up, your volume knob that controls the headphone volume is probably between 4-6 which is the cause of the problem. Your receiver or powered speakers are receiving this 4-6 volume level and it's probably not enough or a proper signal for best signal to noise ratio also.

Solution: Set the volume knob that control rig volume/headphone volume to somewhere between 8-10. I have mine set at 10 and I believe I get the best signal to noise ratio to my studio speakers.
[/url].
same sound with volume on 10 :/
Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ma View Post
same sound with volume on 10 :/
Well, try the SPDIF out toyour monitors, if they don't have SPDIF, trying going into another audio interface that has SPDIF if you have one. If that doesn't work, then contact Avid for Warranty information. If you haven't registered the Eleven Rack, register it and contact support.

Also can you tell us what outputs are you using, XLR or amp out etc into what?

Based on what I remember you saying that the recorded sound is fine I'm lead to believe that the fault can be in how you're connecting the Eleven Rack
Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Can you please tell us EXACTLY how you are connecting speakers to the Eleven Rack?

Can you please tell use exactly what speakers you are testing this on?

At what point in the chain are you sending the signal to the speakers? Are you certain you have the FULL RIG for the output(s) you are using?

Can you record a sample so we can hear it?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Can you please tell us EXACTLY how you are connecting speakers to the Eleven Rack?

Can you please tell use exactly what speakers you are testing this on?

At what point in the chain are you sending the signal to the speakers? Are you certain you have the FULL RIG for the output(s) you are using?

Can you record a sample so we can hear it?
i connect 11r's xlr main output to Alto Truesonic TS112A PA xlr input

and full rig out option is set

i'll try to record something when i have a chance
thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM

And what headphones are you comparing to?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And what headphones are you comparing to?
some cheap in ear phones, i tried ath-m40fs, didn't like them
Old 07-24-2013, 02:59 PM

As you said, it sounds better. Of course it does. The speakers(headphones) are on your head. There isn't a distance involved. I always record with headphones(neighbors and I like to feel like I'm in the mix) and mix with monitors.
😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live